Integrate by Parts: Solving x^13cos(x^7)dx

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with solving the integral of x^13 cos(x^7) dx using integration by parts. They have already attempted to find the antiderivative of cos(x^7) and have rewritten the integral as (x^7 * x^6) * cos(x^7). The suggested solution is to let u = x^7 and du = 7x^6 dx, followed by integrating by parts and substituting u back in.
punjabi_monster
Integration by parts :(

hi I have been trying this question for quite a while now and am unsure of what to do. Any help would be apprectiated.

Integral x^13 cos(x^7) dx

I know you have to use integration of parts. Here is what i have done so far:

let U=x^3
dU =13x^12 dx

dV=cos(x^7)
V=?
First off I can't manage to find the antiderivative of cos(x^7)

After finding that i think you use
integral u(dV) = uv - v(dU)

Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite the integral as (x^7 * x^6) * cos (x^7). Then let u = x^7. Then du = 7x^6 dx. So the integral becomes:

(1/7) § u cos(u) du

Which you can integrate by parts. Then substitute u back in and you're done.

FAQ: Integrate by Parts: Solving x^13cos(x^7)dx

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique in calculus used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the product into two parts and applying the formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions. This formula can be applied repeatedly if necessary.

How do you solve an integral using integration by parts?

To solve an integral using integration by parts, you must first identify the two parts of the product. Then, you can use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to find the integral. After finding the integral, you can solve for the unknown variable or constants.

What is the purpose of using integration by parts?

The purpose of using integration by parts is to simplify the integration process and solve integrals that are otherwise difficult to solve. It is often used in cases where integration by substitution is not possible or when the integrand involves products of functions.

How can integration by parts be applied to solve x^13cos(x^7)dx?

To solve x^13cos(x^7)dx using integration by parts, we can let u = x^13 and dv = cos(x^7)dx. Then, we can find du and v using differentiation and integration respectively. After substituting these values into the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, we can solve for the integral.

Back