Integrate f(z) = Re(z) along contour of the square

In summary: If I were doing it I would stay away from parametrization via t, and just deal directly with ##\int f(z)\, dz## as a standard limit like \lim_{||P|| \to 0} \sum_{z_i \in P} f(z_i) (z_{i+1} - z_i). Here, ##P = P_n = [z_1, z_2,... z_n]## is a partition of the integration path and ##||P||## denotes something like ##\max_i |z_{i+1} - z_i|.## Basically, ##dz = dx + i dy##
Shackleford

Homework Statement

Integrate f(z) = Re(z) = [itex] \frac{z+\bar{z}}{2}[/itex] along the contour of the square {z = x + iy | |x| ≤ 1, |y| ≤ 1} with counterclockwise rotation.

Homework Equations

Cj: φj(t) = z0 + (z1 - z0)t

C1: 1 -i + 2it
C2: 1 +i - 2t
C3: -1 +i - 2it
C4: -1 -i + 2t

The Attempt at a Solution

If I'm not mistaken, because of linearity, I can simply integrate the real parts of parametrizations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:

Homework Statement

Integrate f(z) = Re(z) = [itex] \frac{z+z^bar}{2}[/itex] along the contour of the square {z = x + iy | |x| ≤ 1, |y| ≤ 1} with counterclockwise rotation.

Homework Equations

Cj: φj(t) = z0 + (z1 - z0)t

C1: 1 -i + 2it
C2: 1 +i - 2t
C3: -1 +i - 2it
C4: -1 -i + 2t

The Attempt at a Solution

If I'm not mistaken, because of linearity, I can simply integrate the real parts of parametrizations.

Try it and see what you get.

For TeX/LaTex commands: the command to get ##\bar{z}## is "\ b a r {z}" (no spaces). Also, the command "a^ bc " (no spaces) produces ##a^bc##. If you want more than one symbol in a superscript or a subscript, use { }, like this: 'a ^ {b c}" no spaces; that gives ##a^{bc}##.

Ray Vickson said:
Try it and see what you get.

For TeX/LaTex commands: the command to get ##\bar{z}## is "\ b a r {z}" (no spaces). Also, the command "a^ bc " (no spaces) produces ##a^bc##. If you want more than one symbol in a superscript or a subscript, use { }, like this: 'a ^ {b c}" no spaces; that gives ##a^{bc}##.

Thanks. I fixed the z-bar. I'm not quite sure that I'm handling everything correctly.

∫ f(z) dz = ∫ f ° φ(t)φ' (t) dt

I get 0, 0, 0, and -1. I think this is somehow related to the fact that it's a closed curve with one loop around the origin and the area of the curve itself.

Last edited:
Shackleford said:
Thanks. I fixed the z-bar. I'm not quite sure that I'm handling everything correctly.

∫ f(z) dz = ∫ f ° φ(t)φ' (t) dt

I get 0, 0, 0, and -1. I think this is somehow related to the fact that it's a closed curve with one loop around the origin and the area of the curve itself.

If I were doing it I would stay away from parametrization via t, and just deal directly with ##\int f(z)\, dz## as a standard limit like
[tex] \lim_{||P|| \to 0} \sum_{z_i \in P} f(z_i) (z_{i+1} - z_i). [/tex]
Here, ##P = P_n = [z_1, z_2,... z_n]## is a partition of the integration path and ##||P||## denotes something like ##\max_i |z_{i+1} - z_i|.## Basically, ##dz = dx + i dy##. If you use a parametrization ##z = \varphi(t)##, you need to be careful about keeping the "velocity" constant; otherwise, a ##dt## in one part of the path could give a different ##|dz|## than the same ##dt## in another part of the path. That could lead to things like violations in Cauchy's Theorem, etc. Of course, parametrization would be OK if it were done very carefully, but then it might be more trouble that it is worth.

Ray Vickson said:
If I were doing it I would stay away from parametrization via t, and just deal directly with ##\int f(z)\, dz## as a standard limit like
[tex] \lim_{||P|| \to 0} \sum_{z_i \in P} f(z_i) (z_{i+1} - z_i). [/tex]
Here, ##P = P_n = [z_1, z_2,... z_n]## is a partition of the integration path and ##||P||## denotes something like ##\max_i |z_{i+1} - z_i|.## Basically, ##dz = dx + i dy##. If you use a parametrization ##z = \varphi(t)##, you need to be careful about keeping the "velocity" constant; otherwise, a ##dt## in one part of the path could give a different ##|dz|## than the same ##dt## in another part of the path. That could lead to things like violations in Cauchy's Theorem, etc. Of course, parametrization would be OK if it were done very carefully, but then it might be more trouble that it is worth.

Ah, that's right. It's easy when the velocity is one.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I found the dt for each parametrization.

So, something like this - (1)(2i) + (1)(-2) + (-1)(-2i) + (1)(2)?

Using both approaches, I get zero. I guess that it means sense because it's a closed curve.

Last edited:

Related to Integrate f(z) = Re(z) along contour of the square

1. What is the definition of integration?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve, or the sum of infinitely small quantities. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval or region.

2. What is the meaning of "Re(z)"?

"Re(z)" refers to the real part of a complex number, where z is a complex variable. It is the horizontal axis on the complex plane and represents the real values of a complex number.

3. How do you integrate a function along a contour?

To integrate a function along a contour, you must first parameterize the contour using a variable t. Then, you can use the contour integral formula, where the integrand is multiplied by the derivative of the parameterization with respect to t. Finally, you can integrate the resulting function over the given interval.

4. What is the contour of a square?

The contour of a square is a closed path that forms the boundary of a square. It can be described using four line segments, each connecting two adjacent corners of the square.

5. Why is the integration of f(z) = Re(z) along the contour of a square useful?

The integration of f(z) = Re(z) along the contour of a square is useful for calculating the total value of the real part of a complex function over a square region. This can be applied in various fields, such as physics and engineering, to solve problems involving complex variables and mathematical models.