Integrate problem with undefined constant

In summary, the conversation is about trying to calculate an integral with a constant and using NIntegrate. The result is an unevaluated integral and there is doubt that it has a closed form. The suggestion is to define a numerical integral with memoization to plot the integral. The conversation ends with a thank you for the answer and a request to share if a closed form is found.
sukharef
Hello!

I'm trying to calculate this integral:

Integrate [Exp[-I a *y] Exp[I*Sin[y]] Exp[-y*Sign[y]], {y, -Infinity, Infinity}] , where "a" - constant that i'll define later.

So the result of the calculation acсording to Mathematica is the same expression : Exp[-I a *y] Exp[I*Sin[y]] Exp[-y*Sign[y]].

What can i do to calculate my integral without defining my constant "a" and using NIntagrate?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt that Mma returns the integrand - it probably returns an unevaluated integral, no matter what choice you make for the constant a. The integral probably does not have a nice closed form in terms of any common or existing special functions.

Mma doesn't even evaluate the "simpler" integral Exp[I*Sin[y] - y^2].

If you just need to use this result just define the numerical integral (with memoization)

int[a_?NumericQ] := int[a] = NIntegrate[Exp[-I a*y] Exp[I*Sin[y]] Exp[-y*Sign[y]], {y, -Infinity, Infinity}]//Chop

It's a little slow... but you can get a reasonable plot of the integral

Plot[int[x], {x, -10, 10}, PlotPoints -> 15, MaxRecursion -> 3, PlotRange -> All]
attachment.php?attachmentid=37617&stc=1&d=1311986079.png

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 476
Thank you so much for answer!

Not a problem. I hope it was useful.
If you do find a closed form to that integral - don't forget to post it here!

I understand the frustration of trying to solve a problem with an undefined constant. In this case, it seems like your integral is dependent on the value of "a", which makes it difficult to find a solution without defining it. One approach you could try is to use a symbolic integration method, such as the residue theorem, which does not require a specific value for "a". Another option is to find a way to express the integral in terms of a known function or series, such as a Taylor series, which may allow you to evaluate it without the need for a constant. Alternatively, you could consider setting a range of values for "a" and using numerical methods, such as NIntegrate, to approximate the integral for each value. This would give you a better understanding of how the integral behaves as "a" varies. I hope these suggestions help in solving your problem. Good luck!

Related to Integrate problem with undefined constant

1. What does it mean when an integrate problem has an undefined constant?

When solving an integrate problem, an undefined constant means that there is a term in the equation that does not have a specific value and can take on any value. This is usually denoted by the letter "C" and is known as the constant of integration.

2. How do I solve an integrate problem with an undefined constant?

To solve an integrate problem with an undefined constant, you need to follow the standard integration rules and then add the constant of integration "C" to your final answer. The value of "C" can be determined by using initial conditions or given values in the problem.

3. Why is the constant of integration necessary in integrate problems?

The constant of integration is necessary in integrate problems because it represents the family of solutions to the differential equation. Different values of "C" can result in different solutions, and including the constant allows for a more general solution.

4. Can the constant of integration be negative or zero?

Yes, the constant of integration can be negative or zero. Since it represents a general solution, it can take on any real value.

5. Is it possible for two integrate problems with different constants of integration to have the same solution?

Yes, it is possible for two integrate problems with different constants of integration to have the same solution. This is because the constant of integration is added to the solution as a separate term, and different values of "C" can result in the same final solution.