Integrate sinx/x using fourier transform?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods of integrating a function using the complex plane and Fourier transforms. The individual suggests using 1/x as it is simpler and provides a solution using the Fourier transform of t^-1. Another method is also mentioned, but it is noted that it does not offer any additional insights as the integral is already known.
nabeel17
I learned how to integrate it using the complex plane and semi circle contours but I was wondering if there is a way using Fourier transforms. I know that the Fourier transform of the rectangle wave form is the sinc function so I was thinking maybe i could do an inverse Fourier on sinc x and get back the rectangle function and integrate that? Or something along those lines.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Sure just write the integral as the Fourier transform or inverse Fourier transform of 1/x. Of course if you can take the transform you already know the integral.

lurflurf said:
Sure just write the integral as the Fourier transform or inverse Fourier transform of 1/x. Of course if you can take the transform you already know the integral.

Why 1/x? why does that help? I was thinking to change sinx/x by taking the Fourier transform of it which is just the box function and see if that would get me anywhere.

I will assume the following
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \! \frac{\sin(t)}{t} \, \mathrm{d}t\\
\mathrm{sinc}(t)=\lim_{x\rightarrow t} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}\\
\mathcal{F} \{ \mathrm{f}(t) \}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \! \mathrm{f}(t)e^{\imath \, \omega \, t} \, \mathrm{d}t$$
What you suggest works fine
we know (as you say)
$$\mathcal{F}\left\{\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}(\mathrm{sgn}(1-t)+\mathrm{sgn}(1+t))\right\}=\mathrm{sinc}(\omega)\\
\text{then}\\
\left. \int_{-\infty}^\infty \! \frac{\sin(t)}{t} \, \mathrm{d}t=\sqrt{2 \pi} \mathcal{F} ^{-1} \{ \mathrm{sinc}(\omega) \} \right|_{t=0}$$$$=\frac{\pi}{2}((\mathrm{sgn}(1-0)+\mathrm{sgn}(1+0)))=\pi$$
This does not really help us though as to do that we already know the integral.

1/x seems simpler to me
$$\mathcal{F} \{ t^{-1} \}=\imath \, \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}\mathrm{sgn}(t)\\
\text{so}\\
\left. \int_{-\infty}^\infty \! \frac{\sin(t)}{t} \, \mathrm{d}t=-\imath \, \sqrt{2 \pi} \mathcal{F} \{ t^{-1} \}\right|_{\omega=0}=\pi \, \mathrm{sgn}(0)=\pi$$

Likes 1 person

Related to Integrate sinx/x using fourier transform?

1. What is the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical tool that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It converts a function from its original domain (such as time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain.

2. How is the Fourier transform used to integrate sinx/x?

The Fourier transform of a function is defined as the integral of the function multiplied by a complex exponential. By applying this definition to sinx/x, we can evaluate the integral using the properties of the Fourier transform.

3. What are the properties of the Fourier transform that make it useful for integration?

Some of the key properties of the Fourier transform that make it useful for integration include linearity, time-scaling, and frequency shifting. These properties allow us to manipulate the integral of a function and simplify the calculations.

4. What is the benefit of using the Fourier transform to integrate sinx/x?

Integrating sinx/x using the Fourier transform can be beneficial because it reduces the complexity of the integral and allows us to solve it using well-known properties. It also provides a more efficient and accurate method of integration compared to other numerical methods.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Fourier transform for integration?

One limitation of using the Fourier transform for integration is that it requires the function to be integrable in the frequency domain. This means that the function must have a finite integral, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the Fourier transform may not be suitable for functions with sharp discontinuities or infinite discontinuities.