Integrate source terms for test EM field in Kerr spacetime

Nitacii
Homework Statement
Calculate the source term ##^2J_{lm}## while knowing by integrating the known quantities.
Relevant Equations
$$ ^2J_{lm}(r) = \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi \frac{(r- i a \cos \theta)^2}{(r_+ - r_-)^2} \Sigma \ J_2 \;{}_{-1}\overline{Y}_{lm} \sin \theta d\theta d \phi$$
Hello, the Homework Statement is quite long, since it includes a lot of equations so I will rather post the as images as to prevent mistypes.

We need to find the integral
1696784403607.png

where
1696784412160.png

with

$$
J_m =(\sqrt{2}(r−ia\cos⁡θ))^{−1} i(r^2+a^2)\sin⁡(θ)j,
$$

$$
J_n = - \frac{a \Delta}{ 2 \Sigma} \sin(\theta )^2 j,
$$

$$
j = C \delta(r-r_0) \delta(\theta-\pi /2),
$$

where δ is the dirac delta function and with
$$
\Delta = r^2 - 2 M r + a^2
$$

$$
\Sigma = r^2 + a^2 \cos(\theta)^2
$$Finally ##(r_+,r_-,r_0,C,a,M)## are constant and ## {}_{-1}\overline{Y}_{l,m} = {}_{-1}\overline{Y}_{l,m}(\theta,\phi) ## are the Spin-Weighted Spherical harmonics.

We were also given the article Stationary electromagnetic fields around black holes. II. I understand that not everyone has access to it. But I've provided everything necessary here.

Since the calculation are very long I've prepared a Mathematica notebook. Which I've attached as pdf and is also (with working Mathematica notebook) at https://github.com/Zlabekma/homework.git).

Anyway, I don't finish the calculation there because my integrated source term is at least cubic in the variable ##r## but the one in the article is only quadratic in ##r##.
To be more specific in the article they state that ##{}^2J_{lm} \propto \Delta##
Comments on how to improve this post are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• HomeworkIntegration.pdf
    86 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For clarity I finished the calculation using rules for Spin-Weighted Spherical harmonics and corrected a typo. I've modified the notebook and the pdf. But the problem of course remains.

Attachments

• HomeworkIntegration.pdf
    96.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Related to Integrate source terms for test EM field in Kerr spacetime

What is the significance of integrating source terms for test electromagnetic fields in Kerr spacetime?

Integrating source terms for test electromagnetic fields in Kerr spacetime is crucial for understanding how electromagnetic fields interact with the curved spacetime around rotating black holes. This has implications for astrophysical phenomena such as the behavior of accretion disks, jet formation, and the emission of electromagnetic radiation from the vicinity of black holes.

What mathematical tools are typically used to integrate source terms in Kerr spacetime?

To integrate source terms in Kerr spacetime, one typically uses advanced mathematical tools such as differential geometry, tensor calculus, and the Newman-Penrose formalism. These tools help in solving the Maxwell equations in the curved spacetime described by the Kerr metric.

How does the Kerr metric affect the electromagnetic field equations?

The Kerr metric, which describes the geometry of spacetime around a rotating black hole, introduces complexities such as frame dragging and the ergosphere. These factors must be accounted for in the electromagnetic field equations, leading to modifications in the solutions compared to those in flat spacetime or non-rotating (Schwarzschild) black holes.

What are the challenges in numerically integrating source terms in Kerr spacetime?

Numerically integrating source terms in Kerr spacetime poses challenges such as dealing with the singularity at the event horizon, ensuring stability and accuracy of the numerical methods, and handling the complex boundary conditions imposed by the curved spacetime. High computational resources and sophisticated algorithms are often required.

How do the results of these integrations contribute to our understanding of astrophysical processes?

The results of integrating source terms for test electromagnetic fields in Kerr spacetime enhance our understanding of various astrophysical processes, including the dynamics of plasma around black holes, the generation of high-energy radiation, and the mechanisms behind phenomena like quasars and active galactic nuclei. This knowledge is essential for interpreting observational data from telescopes and space missions.