Integrating 1/sqrt(cos[2x]): Homework Help and Solution Explanation

• Thread starter hungryhippo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, to solve the given integral of 1/sqrt(cos[2x]) from theta prime to pi/4, you need to manipulate and use trigonometric identities to eliminate all trigonometric terms. This will allow you to perform a substitution and change the bounds of integration. It is similar to integrating 1/cosx by manipulation and substitution.
hungryhippo

Homework Statement

Integrate
1/sqrt(cos[2x]) from theta prime to pi/4

Homework Equations

Your basic trig identities:
cos[2x]= 2cos^2[x]-1 = 1- 2sin^2[x] = cos^2[x]-sin^2[x]
sin^2[x]+cos^2[x] = 1
sin[2x] = 2sin[x]cos[x]

Apparently, you're supose to manipulate so that you can do a substitution to eliminate all trigonometric terms, i.e. cosx, sinx, and whatever may come up. Then, since a substitution occurred, you can then change the bounds of integration.

It should be similar to integrating 1/cosx by manipulation and substitution.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the first thing for me was trying to get rid of the square root in the denominator, multiplying top and bottom by cos[2x] everything i seem to have done thus far, ends up going in circles...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{\cos2x}}dx[/tex]

This doesn't have an elementary antiderivative...

Bohrok said:
[tex]\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{\cos2x}}dx[/tex]

This doesn't have an elementary antiderivative...

I'm not sure about this question, but from what I was told, you have to use identities and manipulation in order to get it into a form that substitution is possible...

FAQ: Integrating 1/sqrt(cos[2x]): Homework Help and Solution Explanation

1. What is integration in science?

Integration in science refers to the process of combining different scientific concepts, theories, and data to form a more comprehensive understanding of a particular phenomenon or problem. It involves synthesizing information from various sources to create a more complete picture.

2. Why is integration important in science?

Integration is important in science because it allows for a deeper and more holistic understanding of complex systems and phenomena. By combining multiple perspectives and data sources, scientists can gain a more comprehensive understanding of the natural world and make more accurate predictions and conclusions.

3. What are some examples of integration in science?

Some examples of integration in science include incorporating data from different disciplines to understand climate change, combining genetic and environmental factors to study the development of diseases, and integrating theories from psychology, biology, and sociology to understand human behavior.

4. How can scientists integrate different ideas and data?

Scientists can integrate different ideas and data by using various methods such as data analysis, mathematical modeling, and interdisciplinary collaboration. They can also use tools like systems thinking and critical thinking to identify connections and patterns between different concepts and data.

5. What are some challenges of integration in science?

Some challenges of integration in science include overcoming disciplinary boundaries and biases, dealing with conflicting data and theories, and managing the complexity of integrating multiple perspectives. It also requires effective communication and collaboration among scientists from different disciplines.

Back