Integrating 3cos[SUP]5[/SUP]3xdx

• Thread starter bobsmith76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary: You need to build your house on a solid foundation, or you will continue to struggle with mathematics.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-02-10at63230PM.png

If you look at the answer you will see that they integrate sin43x into (sin53x)/5. well, if you can do that why not just integrate 3cos53xdx into (cos63xdx)/2? why go through all the trouble of dividing it into parts? it is true that (cos63xdx)/2 = 0 but i still don't see why you can integrate sin43x and not 3cos53xdx.

Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-02-10at63230PM.png

If you look at the answer you will see that they integrate sin43x into (sin53x)/5.
No, they do not. They integrate sin4(3x)*cos(3x)*3dx to get (1/5)sin5(3x).
bobsmith76 said:
well, if you can do that why not just integrate 3cos53xdx into (cos63xdx)/2?
Because that's not the right answer. IOW, (cos63xdx)/2 is not an antiderivative of 3cos53x.
bobsmith76 said:
why go through all the trouble of dividing it into parts?
To make a relatively difficult problem amenable to solution by a very simple technique. Do you recognize what type of integration they did for the 2nd and 3rd integrals? I'm guessing you don't.
bobsmith76 said:
it is true that (cos63xdx)/2 = 0
?
No, this is not generally true.
bobsmith76 said:
but i still don't see why you can integrate sin43x and not 3cos53xdx.

They don't integrate sin43x into sin53x/5 but rather, they integrate sin43xcos3x into sin53x/5.

Thinking about sin53x/5 this makes sense as if you were to differentiate that function you would get nfn-1 per the power rule which is sin43x times the derivative of the inner function per the chain rule, cos3x.

You couldn't integrate 3cos53xdx into (cos63xdx)/2 as you would need a -sin3x with it so as to fullfil the chain rule.

I hope that I'm not totally wrong on this and if not, that it helps you understand.

Bob, I have to question the reasonableness of your study strategy. I've read your blog, so I understand a little of your situation and what you're trying to do, which is laudable. However, mathematics is not something that is amenable to cramming X number of pages into Y hours of study time. You will not learn very well by merely looking at worked problems and trying to understand the steps they show. You'll learn better by actually working the problems - then things will stick in your mind.

Also, in a fair number of your posts, I've noticed a lack of understanding of basic algebra and trig concepts. You will continue beating your head against the wall, unless you revisit those parts of mathematics and reinforce these foundational subjects.

Unlike some other disciplines, mathematics is not made up of discrete, unrelated areas, but instead builds on previous areas. The old saying is, if you build your house on sand, it will collapse.

FAQ: Integrating 3cos[SUP]5[/SUP]3xdx

1. What is the formula for integrating 3cos[SUP]5[/SUP]3xdx?

The formula for integrating 3cos[SUP]5[/SUP]3xdx is ∫3cos[SUP]5[/SUP]3xdx = (3/4)x + (3/8)sin(6x) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve integrals involving trigonometric functions?

To solve integrals involving trigonometric functions, you can use trigonometric identities, substitution, or integration by parts. In the case of integrating 3cos[SUP]5[/SUP]3xdx, you can use the power-reducing formula cos[SUP]2[/SUP]x = (1/2)(1 + cos(2x)) to simplify the integrand.

3. Why is it important to use the correct substitution when solving integrals?

Using the correct substitution is important when solving integrals because it helps to simplify the integrand and make the integration process easier. In the case of integrating 3cos[SUP]5[/SUP]3xdx, substituting u = sin(3x) can help simplify the integrand to a more manageable form.

4. Can you provide an example of integrating 3cos[SUP]5[/SUP]3xdx?

Yes, an example of integrating 3cos[SUP]5[/SUP]3xdx is ∫3cos[SUP]5[/SUP]3xdx = ∫3(cos[SUP]2[/SUP]x)(cos[SUP]3[/SUP]x)dx = ∫3(1 - sin[SUP]2[/SUP]x)(cos[SUP]3[/SUP]x)dx. From here, you can use the substitution u = sin(3x) to simplify the integrand and then use the power-reducing formula to solve the integral.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrating trigonometric functions?

Integrating trigonometric functions has various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and mathematics. For example, in physics, integration of trigonometric functions can be used to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a moving object. In engineering, trigonometric integrals are used in the design of electrical circuits and in analyzing vibrations in structures. In mathematics, trigonometric integrals are used in solving differential equations and in determining areas and volumes of curved shapes.