Integrating a diagonal 2x2 matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation \(\mathbf{V}_{-1}^{(D)} = \alpha\sigma_3 + c\mathbb{I}\), where \(\alpha\) is a function of \(x\) and \(t\) related to \(q\) and \(r\). The participants are trying to understand how \(\alpha\sigma_3\) is obtained by integrating the diagonal matrix. They discuss the last page of a PDF and conclude that the author has substituted one differential equation for another.
Dustinsfl
\(r = r(x, t)\), \(q = q(x, t)\), \(\sigma_3 =
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1
\end{bmatrix}
\)
I have the equation
\begin{align}
\frac{\partial\mathbf{V}_{-1}^{(D)}}{\partial x} &= \frac{i}{2}\begin{bmatrix}
-(qr)_t & 0\\
0 & (qr)_t
\end{bmatrix}\\
\mathbf{V}_{-1}^{(D)} &= \alpha\sigma_3 + c\mathbb{I}\qquad (*)
\end{align}
where \(\alpha\) is a function of \(x\) and \(t\) related to \(q\) and \(r\) and
\[
\alpha_x + \frac{1}{2}i(qr)_t = 0
\]

How is \((*)\) obtained? I don't see it. I know that \(c\mathbb{I}\) is the matrix constant of integration so I am only focused on how \(\alpha\sigma_3\) comes from integrating the diagonal matrix.

I am trying to figure out the last page of
http://math.arizona.edu/~mcl/Miller/MillerLecture06.pdf

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
\(r = r(x, t)\), \(q = q(x, t)\), \(\sigma_3 =
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 & -1
\end{bmatrix}
\)
I have the equation
\begin{align}
\frac{\partial\mathbf{V}_{-1}^{(D)}}{\partial x} &= \frac{i}{2}\begin{bmatrix}
-(qr)_t & 0\\
0 & (qr)_t
\end{bmatrix}\\
\mathbf{V}_{-1}^{(D)} &= \alpha\sigma_3 + c\mathbb{I}\qquad (*)
\end{align}
where \(\alpha\) is a function of \(x\) and \(t\) related to \(q\) and \(r\) and
\[
\alpha_x + \frac{1}{2}i(qr)_t = 0
\]

How is \((*)\) obtained? I don't see it. I know that \(c\mathbb{I}\) is the matrix constant of integration so I am only focused on how \(\alpha\sigma_3\) comes from integrating the diagonal matrix.

I am trying to figure out the last page of
http://math.arizona.edu/~mcl/Miller/MillerLecture06.pdf

Hmm. Interesting. Well, we can write
$$\frac{\partial\mathbf{V}_{-1}^{(D)}}{\partial x}=\frac{i}{2}\begin{bmatrix}
-(qr)_t & 0 \\ 0 & (qr)_t \end{bmatrix}=- \frac{i(qr)_{t}}{2} \begin{bmatrix} 1 &0 \\ 0 &-1 \end{bmatrix}= - \frac{i(qr)_{t}}{2} \sigma_{3}.$$
At the very least, if we take
$$\mathbf{V}_{-1}^{(D)} = \alpha \sigma_3 + c\mathbb{I} \qquad (*),$$
where
$$\alpha_x + \frac{1}{2}i(qr)_t = 0,$$
then if we differentiate $(*)$ w.r.t. $x$, we get that
$$\frac{\partial\mathbf{V}_{-1}^{(D)}}{\partial x}= \alpha_{x} \sigma_{3}=
- \frac{i(qr)_{t}}{2} \sigma_{3},$$
which is what we had before. Given that the author has not specified $\alpha$ explicitly, but only given a DE that it satisfies, it looks to me as though he's merely substituted one DE for another.

Ackbach said:
Hmm. Interesting. Well, we can write
$$\frac{\partial\mathbf{V}_{-1}^{(D)}}{\partial x}=\frac{i}{2}\begin{bmatrix}
-(qr)_t & 0 \\ 0 & (qr)_t \end{bmatrix}=- \frac{i(qr)_{t}}{2} \begin{bmatrix} 1 &0 \\ 0 &-1 \end{bmatrix}= - \frac{i(qr)_{t}}{2} \sigma_{3}.$$
At the very least, if we take
$$\mathbf{V}_{-1}^{(D)} = \alpha \sigma_3 + c\mathbb{I} \qquad (*),$$
where
$$\alpha_x + \frac{1}{2}i(qr)_t = 0,$$
then if we differentiate $(*)$ w.r.t. $x$, we get that
$$\frac{\partial\mathbf{V}_{-1}^{(D)}}{\partial x}= \alpha_{x} \sigma_{3}=
- \frac{i(qr)_{t}}{2} \sigma_{3},$$
which is what we had before. Given that the author has not specified $\alpha$ explicitly, but only given a DE that it satisfies, it looks to me as though he's merely substituted one DE for another.

Thanks, I actually figured everything out but forgot to mark the thread as solved.

Related to Integrating a diagonal 2x2 matrix

1. What is a diagonal 2x2 matrix?

A diagonal 2x2 matrix is a square matrix with two rows and two columns, where all the elements outside the main diagonal are zero. The main diagonal consists of the elements from the top left to bottom right of the matrix.

2. How do I integrate a diagonal 2x2 matrix?

To integrate a diagonal 2x2 matrix, you simply need to add the elements on the main diagonal. This will give you a single value, which is the result of integration.

3. What is the purpose of integrating a diagonal 2x2 matrix?

The integration of a diagonal 2x2 matrix is often used in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate the total change or accumulation of a variable over a given time period. It can also be used to solve systems of differential equations.

4. Can a diagonal 2x2 matrix be integrated using different methods?

Yes, there are multiple methods that can be used to integrate a diagonal 2x2 matrix, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fraction decomposition. The method used will depend on the specific matrix and the desired outcome.

5. Are there any special properties of diagonal 2x2 matrices that make integration easier?

Yes, diagonal 2x2 matrices have the property that the integral of each element is simply that element multiplied by the independent variable. This makes the integration process simpler and more straightforward compared to other types of matrices.