Integrating a Quarter Circle with a Double Integral

In summary: The integral is solving for r in terms of theta. Plugging in (x,y) for r gives you the result you're looking for.
8614smith

Homework Statement

[tex]I=\int^{a}_{0}dx\int^{\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}_{0}[/tex][tex](x-y)dy[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]r^{2}=x^{2}+y^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Im thinking that the question is asking to integrate the first quarter of the circle of radius a between 0 and pi/2. In that case I've changed the limits to :-
[tex]\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0}\int^{a}_{0}r.dr.d\theta[/tex] but now I am not sure what to do with the (x-y) given in the question. I can't seem to be able to rearrange this - [tex]r^{2}=x^{2}+y^{2}[/tex] to give me a value i can use in polar coordinates.

This integral apparently is supposed to give an answer of 0. is this correct? i don't see how it can be zero if there is a limit of a.

Physics news on Phys.org
that top integral bottom limit should be zero, and the equation is (x-y). I must have messed up the latex code

x and y are, well, x and y. However, x and y are algebraically related to r and theta, and you may find it useful to do a conversion.

While it would be good practice to do so, a naive brute force calculation is not the best way to solve this problem -- the solution is very, very simple if you make the right observation about what this integral is actually calculating. You've already made half of the observation, or nearly so -- you've identified geometrically the region of integration.

i'm sure its really obvious, but i can't see the relation between (x-y) and r or theta, i don't see how an r can be substituted in if [tex]r^2=x^2+y^2[/tex] i can't make it fit. Are you also suggesting that i substitute the a for something else?

You knew one relationship between (x,y) and (r,theta): r²=x²+y². Where did that relationship come from?

Related to Integrating a Quarter Circle with a Double Integral

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. It is represented by ∬ f(x,y) dA, where f(x,y) is the function of the surface and dA represents the infinitesimal area element.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface in two dimensions. In other words, a double integral is like stacking multiple single integrals on top of each other.

3. What is the purpose of using a double integral?

A double integral is used to solve various problems in physics, engineering, and other fields where a quantity is dependent on two variables. It allows for the calculation of volume, mass, center of mass, and other important parameters that cannot be solved with a single integral.

4. What are the different types of double integrals?

The two main types of double integrals are the double integral over a rectangular region and the double integral over a general region. The former involves integrating over a rectangular area, while the latter involves integrating over any arbitrary region bounded by a curve or curves.

5. How do I solve a double integral problem?

To solve a double integral problem, you first need to determine the limits of integration based on the given region. Then, you can use various methods such as the rectangular or polar coordinate system, the substitution method, or the repeated integration method to evaluate the integral. It is important to carefully set up the integral and follow the correct steps to get an accurate solution.