Integrating: Find \int\frac{5dx}{\sqrt{25x^2 -9}} x > \frac{3}{5}

• Thread starter temaire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
It can get confusing and lead to mistakes. Other than that, your solution and the solution from the integration calculator are essentially the same. It's possible that the calculator simplified the constant differently, resulting in a different constant of integration. In summary, both solutions are correct and equivalent.
temaire

Homework Statement

Find the integral of [tex]\int\frac{5dx}{\sqrt{25x^2 -9}}, x > \frac{3}{5}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I made x = 3/5 secx, and dx = 3/5 secxtanxdx

[tex]\int\frac{3secxtanxdx}{5\sqrt{(9/25)(sec^2x -1)}}[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{secxtanxdx}{tanx}[/tex]

[tex]\int secxdx[/tex]

[tex]ln|secx + tanx| + C[/tex]

[tex]ln|\frac{5x}{3} + \frac{5\sqrt{x^2 - \frac{9}{25}}}{3}| + C[/tex]

The final step is my answer. However, when I try to integrate using the wolfram integration calculator, I get [tex]ln|2(\sqrt{25x^2 - 9} + 5x) + C[/tex]

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I can't find an error in what you did but what I can say is that their answer can be reduced to

ln2+ln|5x+√(25x2-9)|+C=ln|5x+√(25x2-9)|+A

and your answer can be written as

ln(1/3)+ln|5x+√(25x2-9)| = ln|5x+√(25x2-9)|+B

So I would say that they are the same in essence.

temaire said:
First, I made x = 3/5 secx, and dx = 3/5 secxtanxdx
It's not a good idea to have a substitution variable with the same name as the variable it is a substitution for.

FAQ: Integrating: Find \int\frac{5dx}{\sqrt{25x^2 -9}} x > \frac{3}{5}

1. What does "integrating" mean in this context?

Integrating refers to the process of finding the antiderivative of a given function. It is a mathematical technique used to calculate the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a certain interval.

2. How do you find the antiderivative of a function?

To find the antiderivative, we can use integration rules and techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. In this particular problem, we can use the substitution method to simplify the given function and then find the antiderivative.

3. Why is the given function restricted to x > 3/5?

The given function is restricted to x > 3/5 because the denominator of the function, sqrt(25x^2 - 9), cannot be equal to 0. Therefore, to ensure that the function is well-defined, we must restrict the values of x to be greater than 3/5.

4. Can the antiderivative of a function have multiple solutions?

No, the antiderivative of a function is unique up to a constant. This is because when we differentiate the antiderivative, we get back the original function. However, we can add a constant term to the antiderivative without affecting the differentiation process.

5. How can we check if our solution for the antiderivative is correct?

We can check our solution by differentiating the antiderivative we found. If the result is the original function, then our solution is correct. We can also use online calculators or graphing software to verify our solution by comparing it to the graph of the original function.

Back