Integrating Fouries series problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the Fourier sine series expansion of the Dirac delta function in the half-interval (0,L), where 0 < a < L. The conversation then moves on to show the cosine expansion of the square wave function f(x) using integration. After checking for correctness, it is pointed out that there may be a typo in the result.
ognik
As the 2nd part of a question, we start with the Fourier sin series expansion of dirac delta function $\delta(x-a)$ in the half-interval (0,L), (0 < a < L):

$ \delta(x-a) = \frac{2}{L} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} sin \frac{n \pi a}{L} sin \frac{n \pi x}{L} $

The questions goes on "By integrating both sides of this eqtn from 0 to x, show that the cos expansion of the square wave $ f(x) =\begin{cases}0,\; 0\le x \lt a \\ 1,\; a \lt 0 \lt L\end{cases}$

is $ f(x) = \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n} sin(\frac{n\pi a}{L}) - \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n} sin(\frac{n\pi a}{L}) sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) $

But when integrating both sides I get:

$ \int_{0}^{x}\delta(x-a).1 \,dx = \frac{2}{L} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} sin \frac{n \pi a}{L} \int_{0}^{x} sin \frac{n \pi x}{L} \,dx$

$ = \frac{2}{L} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} sin \frac{n \pi a}{L} (\frac{L}{n\pi}) [-cos \frac{n \pi x}{L}]^x_0 $

$ = -\frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n} sin(\frac{n\pi a}{L}) - \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n} sin(\frac{n\pi a}{L}) cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) $

It looks to me that I am correct, could someone please check this?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
But when integrating both sides I get:

$ \int_{0}^{x}\delta(x-a).1 \,dx = \frac{2}{L} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} sin \frac{n \pi a}{L} \int_{0}^{x} sin \frac{n \pi x}{L} \,dx$

$ = \frac{2}{L} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} sin \frac{n \pi a}{L} (\frac{L}{n\pi}) [-cos \frac{n \pi x}{L}]^x_0 $

$=$ -$\frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n} sin(\frac{n\pi a}{L}) - \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n} sin(\frac{n\pi a}{L}) cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) $

It looks to me that I am correct, could someone please check this?

The first sign of you result is wrong. It should be $$\frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n} \sin(\frac{n\pi a}{L}) - \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n} \sin(\frac{n\pi a}{L}) \cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) $$
The rest is correct! (Smile)
ognik said:
The questions goes on "By integrating both sides of this eqtn from 0 to x, show that the cos expansion of the square wave $ f(x) =\begin{cases}0,\; 0\le x \lt a \\ 1,\; a \lt 0 \lt L\end{cases}$

is $ f(x) = \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n} sin(\frac{n\pi a}{L}) - \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n} sin(\frac{n\pi a}{L}) sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L}) $
So there must be a typo...

FAQ: Integrating Fouries series problem

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical method used to represent a periodic function as a sum of simple sine and cosine functions. It allows us to decompose a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate mathematically.

2. Why is Fourier series integration important?

Fourier series integration is important because it allows us to solve problems involving periodic functions in a more efficient and accurate way. It is commonly used in fields such as signal processing, physics, and engineering for its ability to break down complex waveforms into simpler components.

3. How do you integrate a Fourier series?

To integrate a Fourier series, you need to use the properties of trigonometric functions and the orthogonality of sine and cosine waves. This involves finding the coefficients of the series and applying integration rules to each term. The final result will be a new Fourier series that represents the integral of the original function.

4. What are some real-world applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have numerous real-world applications, including audio and image compression, digital signal processing, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering. They are also used in fields such as finance, biology, and chemistry for data analysis and pattern recognition.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier series integration?

While Fourier series integration is a powerful tool, it is not suitable for all types of functions. It is mainly used for periodic functions, so it may not be applicable to highly irregular or non-periodic functions. Additionally, the convergence of Fourier series can be slow for certain functions, which can affect the accuracy of the integration results.