Integrating $\frac{1}{(a+b\sin x)^2}dx$: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the author suggests that the following substitution can be useful in calculating integrals of this type: t = \tan \frac{x}{2} and dx = \frac{2}{1+ t^{2}}\ d t.
juantheron
$\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{(a+b\sin x)^2}dx$, where $a>b$

My Trial :: Using Integration by parts::

$\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{(a+b\sin x)^2}dx = \frac{1}{b}\int -\csc (x)\cdot \frac{-b\sin x}{(a+b\sin x)^2}dx$

$\displaystyle -\frac{1}{b}\cdot \csc (x)\cdot \frac{-1}{(a+b\sin x)}+\int (-\csc x \cdot \cot x)\cdot \frac{-1}{(a+b\sin x)}dx$

Now How Can I Calculate (II) Integral

Help me

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jacks said:

$\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{(a+b\sin x)^2}dx = \frac{1}{b}\int -\csc (x)\cdot \frac{-b\sin x}{(a+b\sin x)^2}dx$

$\displaystyle -\frac{1}{b}\cdot \csc (x)\cdot \frac{-1}{(a+b\sin x)}+\int (-\csc x \cdot \cot x)\cdot \frac{-1}{(a+b\sin x)}dx$

Help me

Thanks

For integrals of this type the following substitution is often useful...

$\displaystyle t = \tan \frac{x}{2}$

$\displaystyle dx = \frac{2}{1+ t^{2}}\ d t$

$\displaystyle \sin x = \frac{2\ t}{1 + t^{2}}$

$\displaystyle \cos x = \frac{1 - t^{2}}{1 + t^{2}}$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thanks chisigma for giving me a hint.

But Using this method, calculation of integral is very complex .

Can anyone have a better method.

If yes the please explain here

Thanks

jacks said:

Help me

Thanks

In the Italian translation of M.H. Spiegel Mathematic Handbook on page 76 is written...

$\displaystyle \int \frac{d x}{(a + b\ \sin x)^{2}} = \frac{b\ \cos x}{a\ (a^{2} - b^{2})\ (a + b\ \sin x)} + \frac{2\ b}{(a^{2}-b^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}}\ \tan^{-1} \frac{a\ \tan \frac{x}{2} + b}{\sqrt{a^{2}- b^{2}}} + c\ (1)$

... where [of course...] $a^{2} \ne b^{2}$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

FAQ: Integrating $\frac{1}{(a+b\sin x)^2}dx$: Step-by-Step Guide

1. How do I integrate $\frac{1}{(a+b\sin x)^2}dx$ using the step-by-step guide?

The first step is to rewrite the integrand in terms of a new variable, $u$, where $u = a + b\sin x$. Then, use the substitution $du = b\cos x dx$ to simplify the integral. Next, use the trigonometric identity $\sin^2x + \cos^2x = 1$ to rewrite the integrand in terms of $u$. Finally, use the power rule of integration to solve the integral.

2. How do I choose the bounds of integration for the step-by-step guide?

The bounds of integration should be chosen based on the original variable, $x$. If the integral is given in terms of $x$, then the bounds should also be in terms of $x$. If the integral has been rewritten in terms of $u$, then the bounds should be in terms of $u$. In some cases, it may be necessary to use trigonometric identities to rewrite the bounds in terms of $x$.

3. Can the step-by-step guide be used for integrals with different trigonometric functions?

Yes, the step-by-step guide can be used for integrals with different trigonometric functions. The key is to rewrite the integrand in terms of a new variable and then use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. However, the specific steps may vary depending on the trigonometric function used in the integrand.

4. Is it necessary to use a trigonometric identity in the step-by-step guide?

No, it is not always necessary to use a trigonometric identity in the step-by-step guide. In some cases, the integral may be solved by using a different substitution or integration technique. However, using trigonometric identities can often make the integral easier to solve.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using the step-by-step guide for integration?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute back in the original variable at the end of the integration process. This can result in an incorrect solution. It is also important to pay attention to the bounds of integration and make sure they are correctly rewritten in terms of the new variable. Additionally, it is important to carefully apply the power rule and other integration techniques to avoid any errors.