Integrating Sec^3(x) without Absolute Value

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the conversation suggests using the substitution x = sinh(u) instead of x = tan(u) for computing the integral. It also explains that sec(u) is always positive for values of u between -π/2 and π/2, which is the range of u in the given substitution.
Mr Davis 97
So I am trying compute ##\displaystyle \int \sqrt{1+x^2}dx##. To start, I make the substitution ##u=\tan x##. After manipulation, this gives us ##\displaystyle \int |\sec u| \sec^2u ~du##. How do I get rid of the absolute value sign, so that I can go about integrating ##\sec^3 u##? Is there an argument that shows that ##\sec u## is always positive or always negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try substituting [itex]x=\sinh(u) [/itex]...

Mr Davis 97 said:
So I am trying compute ##\displaystyle \int \sqrt{1+x^2}dx##. To start, I make the substitution ##u=\tan x##. After manipulation, this gives us ##\displaystyle \int |\sec u| \sec^2u ~du##. How do I get rid of the absolute value sign, so that I can go about integrating ##\sec^3 u##? Is there an argument that shows that ##\sec u## is always positive or always negative?

Just a suggestion: Instead of using [itex]x = tan(u)[/itex], you might be better off with [itex]x = sinh(u)[/itex].

As to your original question, [itex]sec(u) = \frac{1}{cos(u)}[/itex]. So [itex]sec(u) > 0[/itex] whenever [itex]cos(u) > 0[/itex], which means for [itex]|u| < \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]. But from your substitution, [itex]x = tan(u)[/itex], there is no reason to consider [itex]|u| > \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], because the range [itex]-\infty < x < +\infty[/itex] maps to the range [itex]-\frac{\pi}{2} < u < +\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

Likes memdp and Mr Davis 97

Related to Integrating Sec^3(x) without Absolute Value

1. What is the purpose of integrating sqrt(1+x^2)?

The purpose of integrating sqrt(1+x^2) is to find the antiderivative or indefinite integral of the given function. This is useful in solving various mathematical problems involving area, volume, and motion.

2. How do you solve the integral of sqrt(1+x^2)?

To solve the integral of sqrt(1+x^2), you can use the substitution method by letting u = 1+x^2 and du = 2x dx. This will transform the integral into the form of ∫sqrt(u) du, which can be easily solved using the power rule.

3. Can you use trigonometric substitution to integrate sqrt(1+x^2)?

Yes, you can use trigonometric substitution to solve the integral of sqrt(1+x^2). By letting x = tanθ, the integral can be transformed into the form of ∫sec^2θ dθ, which can be easily solved using the trigonometric identity sec^2θ = 1 + tan^2θ.

4. Is there a specific range of values for x when integrating sqrt(1+x^2)?

No, there is no specific range of values for x when integrating sqrt(1+x^2). The integral can be solved for any real value of x.

5. How is the integral of sqrt(1+x^2) related to the area under a curve?

The integral of sqrt(1+x^2) represents the area under the curve of the function y = sqrt(1+x^2) between the limits of integration. This area can be calculated by evaluating the definite integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Back