Integration/ boundary conditions

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, Abby is calculating the average value of $mgz$ using the partition function and probability density function $F_{1}$. To do so, she needs to integrate over all possible values of the position and momentum variables, with the momentum variables being integrated from $-\infty$ to $+\infty$ and the position variables being integrated according to the given boundary conditions.
Abigale
Hi guys,

I regard a particle in an Potential.

I have callculated the partition function and the probability density function [itex]F_{1}[/itex].

$$
H= \frac{p^{2}_{x}}{2m}
+ \frac{p^{2}_{z}}{2m}+ \frac{p^{2}_{\phi}}{2I}+ mgz
$$

For callculating an average value I do:
$$
<mgz>=\int \limits_{\color{Brown}?}^{\color{Brown}?}dx\int \limits_{\color{Brown}?}^{\color{blue}+ \color{blue}\infty}dz\int \limits_{\color{Brown}?}^{\color{Brown}?}d\phi~~~\int \limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty}dp_{x}\int \limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty}dp_{z}\int \limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty}dp_{\phi}
~
~~~~F_{1} ~mgz
$$

The boundary conditions are:
$$
0 \le x \le L \\
0 \le z \le {\color{blue} + \color{blue}\infty}\\
0\le \phi \le 2\pi \\
$$

Do I have to integrate to [itex]+/- \infty[/itex] or to the boundary conditions?

Thanks a lot
Abby
:approve:

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Abby,

It looks like you are on the right track with your calculations and understanding of the partition function and probability density function. In order to calculate the average value of $mgz$, you will need to integrate over all possible values of the variables $x$, $z$, and $\phi$ as well as the momentum variables $p_x$, $p_z$, and $p_{\phi}$. This means you will need to integrate from $-\infty$ to $+\infty$ for the momentum variables, and from the boundary conditions given for the position variables. For example, for $z$, you will integrate from $0$ to $+\infty$ according to the given boundary condition. This will give you the average value of $mgz$ for the system described by the potential function you provided.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work!

FAQ: Integration/ boundary conditions

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to solve a variety of problems in mathematics, physics, and other fields.

What are boundary conditions?

Boundary conditions are the conditions or constraints that are imposed on a system at the boundaries or limits of its domain. They are used to define the behavior of a system and are essential for solving differential equations and other problems in physics and engineering.

Why are integration and boundary conditions important?

Integration and boundary conditions are important because they allow us to solve complex mathematical and physical problems. Integration helps us find the area under a curve, which is necessary for calculating quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Boundary conditions, on the other hand, help us define the behavior of a system and make it easier to find a solution.

What are the types of integration?

There are two main types of integration: definite and indefinite. Definite integration involves finding the area under a curve between two given limits, whereas indefinite integration involves finding the general solution to a differential equation without specific limits. There are also other types of integration, such as numerical integration, which uses numerical methods to approximate the solution.

How do you determine the appropriate boundary conditions for a problem?

Determining the appropriate boundary conditions for a problem depends on the specific problem at hand. In some cases, the boundary conditions may be given or can be easily derived from the problem statement. In other cases, they may need to be assumed based on physical principles and observations. It is important to carefully consider the problem and its context when determining the appropriate boundary conditions.