Integration by Parts: Verify Formula for $\int x^{n} sin x dx$

In summary: That is, you'll let dv=x^ndx.So, to summarize, when using integration by parts, choose u and dv such that u simplifies when taking the derivative and dv doesn't really simplify when taking the derivative.In summary, when using integration by parts, choose u and dv such that u simplifies when taking the derivative and dv doesn't really simplify when taking the derivative. This will make the process easier and you will end up with a simpler expression. Remember to keep track of the differentials and to use the formula \int u dv = uv - \int v du.
clairez93

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\frac{t^{2}}{\sqrt{2+3t}}[/tex]

Use integration by parts to verify the formula:
[tex]\int x^{n} sin x dx = -x^{n} cos x + n\int x^{n-1} cos x dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I attached the picture of my work on paper, as it would take me forever to type out in latex code, I think. For the second one:

[tex]u = sin x[/tex]
[tex]du = cos x[/tex]
[tex]dV = x^{n}[/tex]
[tex]V = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}[/tex]

[tex]\int x^{n} sin x dx = -x^{n} cos x + n\int x^{n-1} cos x dx[/tex] =
[tex]sin x (\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}) - \int \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} cos x dx[/tex]

That doesn't really look like the formula to me. Am I supposed to use an identity of some sorts?

Attachments

• P1080962.jpg
    P1080962.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
clairez93 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\frac{t^{2}}{\sqrt{2+3t}}[/tex]

Use integration by parts to verify the formula:
[tex]\int x^{n} sin x dx = -x^{n} cos x + n\int x^{n-1} cos x dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I attached the picture of my work on paper, as it would take me forever to type out in latex code, I think. For the second one:

[tex]u = sin x[/tex]
[tex]du = cos x[/tex]
[tex]dV = x^{n}[/tex]
[tex]V = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}[/tex]

[tex]\int x^{n} sin x dx = -x^{n} cos x + n\int x^{n-1} cos x dx[/tex] =
[tex]sin x (\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}) - \int \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} cos x dx[/tex]

That doesn't really look like the formula to me. Am I supposed to use an identity of some sorts?

I can't see the work for the first one, so I can't tell if that's right or not.

For the second one, you differentiated [tex]\sin{x}[/tex] to get [tex]\cos{x}[/tex]and integrated [tex]x^n[/tex] to get [tex]\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}[/tex], is that right? However, since the formula you're supposed to end up with has an [tex]x^{n-1}[/tex], I would differentiate the [tex]x^n[/tex] and integrate the [tex]\sin{x}[/tex] and see what you get.

mathie.girl is right. A good thing to remember when doing integration by parts is that you let u be the term such that when you differentiate it, du is "simpler" than u. For example, you let u=sinx so that du=cosx. That really doesn't do any simplifying. That means you'll let dv be the term that doesn't really simplify when taking the derivative.

FAQ: Integration by Parts: Verify Formula for $\int x^{n} sin x dx$

1. What is the formula for Integration by Parts?

The formula for Integration by Parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions and dv and du are their respective derivatives.

2. How is Integration by Parts used to verify the formula for ∫x^n sinx dx?

To verify the formula for ∫x^n sinx dx, we can use Integration by Parts to rewrite the integral as ∫x^n d(-cosx). This can then be solved using the formula for Integration by Parts, giving us the result of uv - ∫v du, which is equal to -x^n cosx + n∫x^(n-1) cosx dx. This can be further simplified to -x^n cosx + n(n-1)∫x^(n-2) sinx dx, and this process can be repeated until the integral is solved.

3. Can the formula for Integration by Parts be used for all types of integrals?

No, the formula for Integration by Parts is specifically used for integrals where the integrand is the product of two functions. It cannot be used for integrals involving division, square roots, or other more complicated functions.

4. Is there a specific order in which the functions in Integration by Parts should be chosen?

Yes, when using Integration by Parts, the choice of which function to assign as u and which to assign as dv is important. Generally, the function chosen as u should be one that becomes simpler after repeated integration, while the function chosen as dv should be one that can be easily integrated. This will make the integration process easier.

5. How can I check my answer when using Integration by Parts to solve an integral?

You can check your answer by differentiating the result and comparing it to the original integrand. If they are equal, then your answer is correct. You can also use online tools or software to verify your answer.