Integration by Substitution fails

In summary, the integral \int^{1}_{-1} \frac{dx}{(1+x^4)} can be solved using partial fractions and successive substitutions, but it is a lengthy and complicated process. Another approach is to use the power series for \frac{1}{(1+x^4)} and integrate term-by-term, though this method also requires further justification.
physicsfan24
Question:
[tex]\int^{1}_{-1} \frac{dx}{(1+x^4)} [/tex]

I attempt:
u = x^2,
so x= u^1/2
dx= 1/2 u^(-1/2)

Which gives me [tex]\int^{1}_{1} \frac{1}{(1+x^4)} * \frac{1}{(2u^1/2)}du[/tex], which is 0. Thats not the answer as seen by any graphing utility.
Where is this error? I do not know integration by parts. I just wish to know why my logic fails.

Any help? :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral goes from 1 to 0 and back to 1. Write the first integral as twice the integral from 0 to 1.

Ok so it would be
2 * [tex]\int^{1}_{0} \frac{1}{(1+x^4)} * \frac{1}{(2u^1/2)}du[/tex]

Now, is my logic correct when I do?
u = x^2,
so x= u^1/2
dx= 1/2 u^(-1/2)

Yes, your logic is correct.

I can't say I'm clear as to how a u-substitution will help here (having just tried it out myself). There's nothing here to grab ahold of for integration by parts and the denominator is an irreducible quartic polynomial, so integration by partial fractions doesn't go anywhere. I want to say that something involving a trigonometric substitution might dent it, but there will be work beyond that. I finally looked up the indefinite integral in Petit Bois and it is not pretty, suggesting that there are multiple layers of substitution involved...

If an infinite series is acceptable for an answer, it is relatively easy to convert the integrand to a power series which is then integrated term-by-term. Since the limits of integration are 0 and 1, the result simplifies considerably to something related to an alternating harmonic series (thus convergent).

physicsfan24 said:
Question:
[tex]\int^{1}_{-1} \frac{dx}{(1+x^4)} [/tex]

I attempt:
u = x^2,
so x= u^1/2
dx= 1/2 u^(-1/2)

Which gives me [tex]\int^{1}_{1} \frac{1}{(1+x^4)} * \frac{1}{(2u^1/2)}du[/tex], which is 0. Thats not the answer as seen by any graphing utility.
Where is this error? I do not know integration by parts. I just wish to know why my logic fails.

Any help? :/
No, x is not equal to u1/2. x originally goes from -1 to 1, so sometimes x is negative and sometimes it's positive. x = u1/2 when x is positive and x = -u1/2 when x is negative.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned an obvious flaw in the "logic". If you are substituting u= some function of x, then the final integral cannot have both x and u in it!
If you had taken u= x2, then du= 2x dx so du/2x= du/2u1/2= dx. (as AKG pointed out, that is only true for x positive. Fortunately, the integral is clearly symmetric so you can integrate taking x from 0 to 1 and then double.)
When x= 0, u= 0, when x= 1, u= 1. The integral becomes
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 \frac{1}{1+u^2} \frac{du}{\sqrt{u}}[/tex]
Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to be any easier to integrate!

HallsofIvy said:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned ...

Since it was an intermediate step -- and, in any event, doesn't go anywhere in solving the problem -- it didn't seem worth remarking on that. It certainly wouldn't be left that way in continuing the development.

Unfortunately, it seems that a number of lecturers nowadays actually write down the first step for substitutions into an integrand this way (to judge from the papers I've been grading this past week). It isn't an utterly terrible abuse of notation, since u is plainly intended as a function of x, but it sure sets my teeth on edge (especially when a student is doing a definite integral like that and then can't seem to decide which set of integration limits to use...).

dynamicsolo said:
I can't say I'm clear as to how a u-substitution will help here (having just tried it out myself). There's nothing here to grab ahold of for integration by parts and the denominator is an irreducible quartic polynomial, so integration by partial fractions doesn't go anywhere. I want to say that something involving a trigonometric substitution might dent it, but there will be work beyond that. I finally looked up the indefinite integral in Petit Bois and it is not pretty, suggesting that there are multiple layers of substitution involved...

A quartic polynomial with real coefficients can always be factored into two quadratic polynomials with real coefficients, as a consequence of the conjugate root theorem. And that's actually how to solve this integral, first step is to use partial fractions.

If someone wants to try a substitution, you'll have trouble unless you can do [tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{\tan x}} dx[/tex]

EDIT: I must warn, though it is possible to do by partial fractions and successive substitutions that aren't too difficult to spot, I would take a good 30 minutes on it, even if your pretty fast.

Last edited:
Gib Z said:
A quartic polynomial with real coefficients can always be factored into two quadratic polynomials with real coefficients, as a consequence of the conjugate root theorem. And that's actually how to solve this integral, first step is to use partial fractions.

The fourth roots of -1 would explain the square roots of 2 in the tabulated integration I looked up.

If someone wants to try a substitution, you'll have trouble unless you can do [tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{\tan x}} dx[/tex]

Yeah, I thought of [tex]x^2 = tan (u)[/tex] this morning, but the outcome just made it clearer why the final integral function is so messy.

I suspect the cleanest way to answer the original question is to integrate the power series for [tex]\frac{1}{(1+x^4)} [/tex], which at least gives the nice-looking result for the definite integral

2 · [ 1 - (1/5) + (1/9) - (1/13) + ... ]

Related to Integration by Substitution fails

What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a method used to evaluate integrals by rewriting them in terms of a new variable. This new variable is chosen in such a way that it simplifies the integral and makes it easier to solve.

Why does integration by substitution fail?

Integration by substitution can fail when the integral is not in a form that allows for easy substitution or when the chosen substitution variable does not simplify the integral. It can also fail when the integral is improper, meaning it has infinite limits or the integrand is not defined at certain points.

How can I know if integration by substitution will fail?

It is not always easy to know if integration by substitution will fail. However, some signs that it may not work include the presence of trigonometric functions, logarithms, or irrational expressions in the integrand. Also, if the integral is improper, it may not be possible to use this method.

What are some alternatives if integration by substitution fails?

If integration by substitution fails, you can try other methods such as integration by parts, trigonometric identities, or partial fractions. In some cases, it may be necessary to use numerical methods to approximate the integral.

Can I always use integration by substitution to solve integrals?

No, integration by substitution is not always applicable. It is only one of many methods used to evaluate integrals and it may not work for every integral. It is important to familiarize yourself with other integration techniques to solve more complex integrals.