Integration by substitution - I'm stuck

In summary, the conversation is about a student attempting to do integration by substitution for the equation ∫(1-sin2θ)cosθ dθ. They initially try to use integration by parts, but then realize they should be using substitution with u=sinθ. The correct answer is (sinθ - \frac{sin^3}{3}) + C.
jkristia
θ

Homework Statement

I'm trying to do an integration by substitution, but I'm completely stuck at the moment

∫(1-sin2θ)cosθ dθ

Homework Equations

∫u dv = uv - ∫v du

The Attempt at a Solution

u = 1 - sin2θ
dv = cosθ dθ

du = -2sinθcosθ or -sin(2θ)
v = sin

I found du as the derivative of (1 - sin2)
= 0 - 2(sin)(cos) = -2sinθcosθ

Now when I insert I get

(1 - sin2θ)(sinθ) - ∫(sinθ)(-2sinθcosθ)
sinθ-sin3θ - ∫-2 sin2θcosθ
sinθ-sin3θ - (-2) ∫sin2θcosθ
sinθ-sin3θ - (-2) ∫(1-cos2θ)cosθ
sinθ-sin3θ - (-2) ∫cosθ-cos3θ

I think I'm on the wrong track here.
Where did I go wrong? - any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I know the answer is

[itex](sinθ - \frac{sin^3}{3}) + C[/itex]

and I can see how to differentiate this

[itex]cosθ - \frac{3}{3}sin^2θcosθ[/itex]
= [itex](1- sin^2θ)cosθ[/itex]

But I can't see what I'm doing wrong when trying to go the opposite direction

Substitution or integration by parts ??

[tex] \int (1-\sin^2 x) \cos x ~ dx = \int (1-\sin^2 x) ~ d(\sin x) = ... [/tex]

Do you see the substitution ?

Last edited:
jkristia said:
θ

Homework Statement

I'm trying to do an integration by substitution, but I'm completely stuck at the moment

∫(1-sin2θ)cosθ dθ

Homework Equations

∫u dv = uv - ∫v du

You tried to do integration by parts, instead of substitution. Substitute u=sinθ.

ehild

>>Substitute u=sinθ.

Ah yes of course.

∫(1 - u2) du

u - u3/3 + C

Thank you very much.

Related to Integration by substitution - I'm stuck

1. How do I know when to use integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is typically used when the integrand (the function being integrated) is a composite function, meaning it can be broken down into two or more simpler functions. You can also look for patterns such as polynomials, exponentials, or trigonometric functions.

2. What is the general process for solving an integral using substitution?

The general process for integration by substitution is to choose a substitution variable and rewrite the integrand in terms of that variable. Then, take the derivative of the substitution variable and multiply it by dx. This will create a new integral that can be more easily evaluated. Finally, solve the new integral and substitute the original variable back in to get the final answer.

3. How do I choose the correct substitution variable?

Choosing the right substitution variable can be a bit tricky, but a good rule of thumb is to look for the most complicated part of the integrand and make that your substitution variable. You can also try to match the derivative of the substitution variable with another part of the integrand to simplify the integral.

4. What do I do if I get stuck during the integration by substitution process?

If you get stuck during the integration by substitution process, try going back to the original function and see if there are any other substitutions that could simplify the integral. You can also try using other integration techniques such as integration by parts or trigonometric identities.

5. How can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

One way to check your answer is to take the derivative of your final result and see if it matches the original integrand. You can also plug in a few values for the original variable and the substitution variable to see if they yield the same result. If they do, then your answer is likely correct.