Integration Help: Finding x-coord of Point A with y= bx(x -2)

• MHB
  • Thread starter kais001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving finding the value of b in an equation and the x-coordinate of a point in an area divided into equal parts. The solution for part (a) is given as b=-3, and further assistance is offered for any remaining questions.
kais001
hey guys,
I am stuck on a question which is
The curve in the picture shown has equation y = bx(x − 2).
(a) Find b given that the shaded area is 4 units 2
(b) Find the x−coordinate of the point A if the line OA divides the shaded area into equal parts.

Ive done part (a) which shows b=-3. From here I am a little stuck. any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, kais001! :D

I would invite you to read the following thread, in which this problem is discussed:

http://mathhelpboards.com/questions-other-sites-52/phyllis-question-yahoo-answers-regarding-finding-line-divides-area-into-equal-parts-7197.html

well that handles that quite nicely! I am about to head off for the night but tomorrow ill go over it, if i have any questions do you mind answering them? and thankyou very much for that!

kais001 said:
well that handles that quite nicely! I am about to head off for the night but tomorrow ill go over it, if i have any questions do you mind answering them? and thankyou very much for that!

Yes, please feel free to post any questions and I or one of our other helpers will be glad to assist. :)

Related to Integration Help: Finding x-coord of Point A with y= bx(x -2)

What is integration and how is it used in finding the x-coordinate of Point A?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. In this case, it is used to find the x-coordinate of Point A by using the equation y= bx(x-2) to calculate the area under the curve from Point A to the x-axis.

What is the meaning of the equation y= bx(x-2)?

The equation y= bx(x-2) represents a parabola with a vertical shift of -2 and a horizontal stretch or compression by a factor of b. The value of b determines the steepness of the curve.

Can integration be used to find the y-coordinate of Point A?

No, integration is used to find the area under a curve, which is represented by the y-values. In order to find the y-coordinate of Point A, you would need to use a different method, such as substitution or elimination.

What is the process of finding the x-coordinate of Point A using integration?

To find the x-coordinate of Point A, you would first set up the integral by using the equation y= bx(x-2) and setting the limits of integration to 0 and x. Then, you would solve the integral and set it equal to the desired area. Finally, you would solve for x to find the x-coordinate of Point A.

What are some real-life applications of using integration to find the x-coordinate of Point A?

Integration is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate areas, volumes, and centers of mass. It can also be used in economics and statistics to measure probability and expected values.