Integration involving trigonometric functions

In summary, to solve the first problem of finding the integral of $\displaystyle\frac{dx}{(1-sinx)^2}$, we can use the substitution method and reduction formula to simplify the expression and solve for the integral. For the second problem of finding the integral of $\displaystyle\sin x\sin2x\sin3x dx$, we can use product to sum identities and integrate term by term to simplify the expression and solve for the integral.
bergausstein
any hints on how to work out this problems.

$\displaystyle\int\frac{dx}{(1-sinx)^2}$

$\displaystyle\int\sin x\sin2x\sin3x dx$

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Integration of trig

1.) I would try the following:

Use a Pythagorean identity and the double-angle identity for sine:

\(\displaystyle 1-\sin(x)=\sin^2\left(\frac{x}{2} \right)-2\sin\left(\frac{x}{2} \right)\cos\left(\frac{x}{2} \right)+\cos^2\left(\frac{x}{2} \right)\)

Factor as the square of a binomial:

\(\displaystyle 1-\sin(x)=\left(\sin\left(\frac{x}{2} \right)-\cos\left(\frac{x}{2} \right) \right)\)

Apply a linear combination identity:

\(\displaystyle 1-\sin(x)=2\sin^2\left(\frac{x}{2}-\frac{\pi}{4} \right)\)

Now the integral is:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{4}\int \csc^4\left(\frac{x}{2}-\frac{\pi}{4} \right)\,dx\)

Use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=\frac{x}{2}-\frac{\pi}{4}\,\therefore\,du=\frac{1}{2}dx\)

And we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\int \csc^4(u)\,du\)

Using the Pythagorean identity:

\(\displaystyle \csc^2(\theta)=1+\cot^2(\theta)\) we may write:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\int \left(1+\cot^2(u) \right)\csc^2(u)\,du\)

Now, you should see a good substitution to use to finish...(Sun)

MarkFL said:
1.) I would try the following:

Use a Pythagorean identity and the double-angle identity for sine:

\(\displaystyle 1-\sin(x)=\sin^2\left(\frac{x}{2} \right)-2\sin\left(\frac{x}{2} \right)\cos\left(\frac{x}{2} \right)+\cos^2\left(\frac{x}{2} \right)\)

Factor as the square of a binomial:

\(\displaystyle 1-\sin(x)=\left(\sin\left(\frac{x}{2} \right)-\cos\left(\frac{x}{2} \right) \right)\)

Apply a linear combination identity:

\(\displaystyle 1-\sin(x)=2\sin^2\left(\frac{x}{2}-\frac{\pi}{4} \right)\)

Now the integral is:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{4}\int \csc^4\left(\frac{x}{2}-\frac{\pi}{4} \right)\,dx\)

Use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=\frac{x}{2}-\frac{\pi}{4}\,\therefore\,du=\frac{1}{2}dx\)

And we have:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\int \csc^4(u)\,du\)

Using the Pythagorean identity:

\(\displaystyle \csc^2(\theta)=1+\cot^2(\theta)\) we may write:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\int \left(1+\cot^2(u) \right)\csc^2(u)\,du\)

Now, you should see a good substitution to use to finish...(Sun)

sure i can solve the new form of the problem. but the preceding steps are complicated. (e.g the linear combination identity, i haven't heard of it.).

i believe there's an easier method to solve this.

The linear combination identity is a good tool to have when dealing with expressions of the form:

\(\displaystyle a\sin(\theta)+b\cos(\theta)\)

It allows us the write the above sinusoidal expression as a constant times a single sinusoid. When $0<a$, we have:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{a^2+b^2}\sin\left(\theta+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{b}{a} \right) \right)\)

If $a<0$ then we have:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{a^2+b^2}\sin\left(\theta+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{b}{a} \right)+\pi \right)\)

yes, that's interesting. but still i want a more comprehensive method.

by the way i think it's good to say that I'm just beginning to learn this subject.

bergausstein said:
yes, that's interesting. but still i want a more comprehensive method.

by the way i think it's good to say that I'm just beginning to learn this subject.

Well, I showed you how I would approach it. (Speechless)

Perhaps someone else can show you a method which suits your tastes.(Thinking)

You will find that linear combination identity cropping up in many places, so I would sincerely advise you to incorporate it into those things you are learning.

2.) Consider:

\(\displaystyle 4\sin(x)\sin(2x)\sin(3x)=-2\sin(3x)\left(-2\sin(2x)\sin(x) \right)\)

Applying a product to sum identity (these are also very useful), we may write:

\(\displaystyle 4\sin(x)\sin(2x)\sin(3x)=-2\sin(3x)\left(\cos(3x)-\cos(x) \right)\)

Distribute:

\(\displaystyle 4\sin(x)\sin(2x)\sin(3x)=2\sin(3x)\cos(x)-2\sin(3x)\cos(3x)\)

For the first term, apply another product to sum identity, and for the second term, the double-angle identity for sine:

\(\displaystyle 4\sin(x)\sin(2x)\sin(3x)=\sin(2x)+\sin(4x)-\sin(6x)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \sin(x)\sin(2x)\sin(3x)=\frac{1}{4}\left(\sin(2x)+\sin(4x)-\sin(6x) \right)\)

Now integrate term by term.:D

bergausstein said:

thanks!

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{dx}{ \left[ 1 - \sin{(x)} \right] ^2 } } &= \int{ \frac{\left[ 1 + \sin{(x)} \right] ^2 \, dx }{ \left[ 1 - \sin{(x)} \right] ^2 \left[ 1 + \sin{(x)} \right] ^2 } } \\ &= \int{ \frac{ \left[ 1 + 2\sin{(x)} + \sin^2{(x)} \right] \, dx}{ \left[ 1 - \sin^2{(x)} \right] ^2 } } \\ &= \int{ \frac{ \left[ 1 + 2\sin{(x)} + \sin^2{(x)} \right] \, dx}{ \left[ \cos^2{(x)} \right] ^2 } } \\ &= \int{ \sec^4{(x)}\,dx } + 2\int{ \frac{\sin{(x)}\, dx}{\cos^4{(x)}} } + \int{ \tan^2{(x)}\sec^2{(x)} \, dx} \end{align*}[/tex]

The first integral can be solved using a reduction formula, the second with the substitution [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \cos{(x)} \end{align*}[/tex] and the third with the substitution [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} v = \tan{(x)} \end{align*}[/tex].

bergausstein said:

thanks!

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \sin{(x)}\sin{(2x)}\sin{(3x)}\,dx} &= \int{ \sin{(x)} \left[ 2\sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} \right] \left[ -4\sin^3{(x)} + 3\sin{(x)} \right] \, dx} \end{align*}[/tex]

Now this integral can be solved using the substitution [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \sin{(x)} \end{align*}[/tex].

FAQ: Integration involving trigonometric functions

1. What is integration involving trigonometric functions?

Integration involving trigonometric functions is a mathematical process of finding the integral of a function that contains trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It involves using various integration techniques to solve these types of equations.

2. How do I integrate trigonometric functions?

Integrating trigonometric functions involves using various integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. These techniques help to simplify the function and make it easier to integrate.

3. What is the purpose of integrating trigonometric functions?

The purpose of integrating trigonometric functions is to find the area under the curve of the given function. This can be useful in solving real-world problems, such as calculating the distance traveled by a moving object or determining the displacement of a particle over time.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when integrating trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are some common mistakes to avoid when integrating trigonometric functions. These include not using the correct substitution, making errors in applying trigonometric identities, and forgetting to include the constant of integration when solving indefinite integrals.

5. Can I use a calculator to integrate trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are calculators and computer software programs that can help with integrating trigonometric functions. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the integration techniques and principles involved in order to use these tools effectively and avoid errors.