Integration of a Triangle: Evaluating ∫∫D sin(x) / x dA

In summary, the student is having trouble setting up limits of integration and needs help determining the limits for the integral.
says

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫∫D sin(x) / x dA, where A is the triangle with vertices (0, 0),(0, 1),(1, 1).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've set up the integral, with x≤y≤x^2, 0≤x≤1 for the upper and lower bands of each integral. dxdy
I'm not sure how to go about it though.
I can re-write the integral to be sin(x)*x-1 and do integration by parts but I get stuck in a loop. Is there some method of integration I should be using instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫∫D sin(x) / x dA, where A is the triangle with vertices (0, 0),(0, 1),(1, 1).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've set up the integral, with x≤y≤x^2, 0≤x≤1 for the upper and lower bands of each integral. dxdy
I'm not sure how to go about it though.
What does ##y=x^2## have to do with this problem? Try setting it up as a dydx integral with corrected limits.

Likes says
As said above, you need to use the correct limits. It is not good enough to choose limits which agree at the boundaries (which yours doesn't even do), you need to have the correct domain throughout (e.g. for a triangle use linear functions).

Likes says
ok, so for dydx
x≤y≤1
0≤x≤y

sin(x)/x cannot be integrated.
If I set up the integral with the correct regions, which I think they are in the post above, I still won't be able to integrate it, no?

says said:
ok, so for dydx
x≤y≤1
0≤x≤y
The integration limits for the outer integral (over x), can't contain a y.
says said:
sin(x)/x cannot be integrated.
If I set up the integral with the correct regions, which I think they are in the post above, I still won't be able to integrate it, no?
Your regions are not correct.
Even with correct regions, I'm not sure that this integral can be easily computed.
Are you sure about the three points? Maybe it should be (1,0) and not (0,1).

Likes says
But the rightmost value of x=y and the leftmost value of x=0
The highest value of y=1 and the lowest value of y=x
x≤y≤1
0≤x≤y

Is this not saying the same thing as:
0≤y≤1
0≤x≤1

?
I wrote in x and y into my first region because I thought it had to be more general. i.e. if we changed the points to be say, (0,0), (0,5) (5,5) we could say the region is:

x≤y≤5
0≤x≤y

or do we just put the actual values in the domain? So it would be:

0≤y≤5
0≤x≤5

I think I got the limit of integration for y, just by rewriting it. I can now compute the first integral.
0 ≤ y ≤ x

I think I got the limit of integration just by rewriting it. I can now compute the first integral.
0 ≤ y ≤ x
0 ≤ x ≤ 1

∫sin(x)/x dy
=sin(x)y/x
| evaluated at 0 ≤ y ≤ x
=sin(x)
∫sin(x) dx
= -cos(x)
| evaluated at 0 ≤ x ≤ 1
=1-cos(1)

I'm still having trouble setting up limits of integration. We had 3 points of the triangle, and (1,1) was the highest point for y, so how come I can't say 0 ≤ y ≤ x ? I guess I could say that, but it wouldn't get me very far computing the integral. Is that really all there is to it? Looking at the problem more and trying to find equivalent statements?

Don't guess the integration limits. Draw your triangle, and try to deduce them.
This is your triangle (if the points are indeed as you posted in post #1):
triangle.jpg

Since you first integrate over y, fix x, and determine what values of y are relevant. That will give you the limits for y, and these limits can depend on x.
Then determine the limits for x. These can't depend on y.

Likes says
says said:
I think I got the limit of integration just by rewriting it. I can now compute the first integral.
0 ≤ y ≤ x
0 ≤ x ≤ 1
These limits correspond to the triangle defined by the points (0,0), (1,0), (1,1). Not the points you stated in post #1.

Likes blue_leaf77 and says
Damn! The points are as stated in post #1

Argh! Just checked my email -- teacher said to correct the point to (1,0). ARGH!

Thanks again for your help, Samy_A!

says said:
Argh! Just checked my email -- teacher said to correct the point to (1,0). ARGH!

Thanks again for your help, Samy_A!
That makes more sense. Glad you sorted this out.

Likes says

Related to Integration of a Triangle: Evaluating ∫∫D sin(x) / x dA

What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = 1/2 * b * h, where b is the length of the base and h is the height of the triangle.

How do you integrate a triangle?

To integrate a triangle, you need to first find the function that represents the line of the triangle. Then, use the integration formula for that function to determine the area under the curve of the triangle.

What is the purpose of integrating a triangle?

The purpose of integrating a triangle is to find the area under the curve of the triangle, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

What are the steps involved in integrating a triangle?

The main steps involved in integrating a triangle include finding the function that represents the line of the triangle, determining the limits of integration, and using the integration formula to calculate the area under the curve.

Can you integrate a triangle with curved sides?

Yes, it is possible to integrate a triangle with curved sides. In this case, the function representing the line of the triangle will be a curved function, and the integration formula used will be specific to that function.