Integration of exponential function

In summary, the conversation confirms that the integral was set up correctly and the answer was correct. The individual steps of using substitution for the first and second terms in the integrand were discussed, and the final answer of $\displaystyle a(e+\frac{1}{e}-2)$ was confirmed. No errors were found.
paulmdrdo1
just want to confirm if i did set up my integral correctly and got a correct answer.

$\displaystyle\int_0^a (e^{\frac{x}{a}}-e^{-\frac{x}{a}})$

using substitution for the first term in my integrand

$\displaystyle u=\frac{x}{a}$ $\displaystyle du=\frac{1}{a}dx$; $\displaystyle dx=adu
$

for the second term of my integrand,

$\displaystyle v=-\frac{x}{a}$; $\displaystyle dv=-\frac{1}{a}dx$; $\displaystyle dx=adv$

my integrand will now be,

$\displaystyle a\int_0^a e^udu+a\int_0^a e^{-v}dv$

$\displaystyle ae^{\frac{x}{a}}+ae^{-\frac{x}{a}}|_0^a$

plugging in limits of integration,

$\displaystyle ae^{\frac{a}{a}}+ae^{-\frac{a}{a}}-(ae^{\frac{0}{a}}+ae^{-\frac{0}{a}})$

simplifying we have,

$\displaystyle ae^1+ae^{-1}-ae^0-ae^{0}=ae+ae^{-1}-2a=a(e+\frac{1}{e}-2)$

please kindly check if i have any errors. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: integration of exponential function

Correct :) .

FAQ: Integration of exponential function

What is the definition of an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in which the independent variable appears in the exponent. It can be written in the form y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and b is the base of the exponential term.

What is the integration of an exponential function?

The integration of an exponential function is the process of finding the antiderivative of the function. It is the reverse process of differentiation and is used to determine the original function when only the derivative is known.

What is the general formula for integrating an exponential function?

The general formula for integrating an exponential function is ∫ab^xdx = (a/b) * b^x + C, where C is the constant of integration. This formula applies to all exponential functions, regardless of the value of the base (b).

What are the rules for integrating exponential functions?

The rules for integrating exponential functions include the power rule, which states that ∫ax^n dx = (a/n+1) * x^(n+1) + C. Additionally, the constant multiple rule and the sum rule also apply to integrating exponential functions.

What are some real-life applications of integrating exponential functions?

Integrating exponential functions has various real-life applications, including in finance, physics, and engineering. For example, it is used in calculating compound interest, modeling population growth, and determining the displacement of an object under the influence of a changing force.