Integration of Numerical Solution Mathematica

In summary, the conversation discusses a user's experience with using mathematica and their difficulty integrating solutions over a specific range. They receive advice on how to integrate using NIntegrate and how to remove curly brackets from their numerical results.
Livethefire
I am kind of new to mathematica, and have checked the documentation but can't seem to find an answer.

I have solved 3 coupled differential equations using NDSolve.

I wish to integrate the solutions over a range but I'm not sure how to do it - the documentation seems to deal only with analytical functions. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

(I have called my solutions "s" and was able to plot them using "/.s", I would imagine I will have to use something like this again)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can plot them you should be able to integrate them. Simply plot over the region you want to integrate, then replace "Plot" with "NIntegrate".

Thanks, Yeah I got it working.

There are curly brackets around my numerical results though :

Output: {100.00}

Anyway to get rid of them?

First[{100.00}] will give you 100.00

I can understand your frustration in trying to integrate numerical solutions in Mathematica. However, there are a few ways you can approach this problem.

Firstly, you can use the function "Integrate" in Mathematica to integrate your numerical solutions. However, this may not be the most efficient method as it requires analytical functions and your solutions may not have analytic forms.

Another option is to use the function "NIntegrate" which is specifically designed for numerical integration. This function allows you to specify the range of integration and the precision of the result. You can also use the option "Method" to choose a specific integration method that best suits your problem.

Additionally, since you have already plotted your solutions using "/.s", you can use the same syntax to integrate your solutions. For example, if you want to integrate the first solution over a range, you can use "/.s[[1]]" in the "NIntegrate" function.

I would also suggest checking out online forums and communities where Mathematica users share their experiences and solutions. You may find helpful tips and tricks from other users who have faced similar integration problems.

Overall, my advice would be to experiment with different methods and options in Mathematica and see which one gives you the most accurate and efficient results for your specific problem. Good luck!

Related to Integration of Numerical Solution Mathematica

1. What is the purpose of integrating numerical solutions in Mathematica?

The purpose of integrating numerical solutions in Mathematica is to numerically evaluate definite integrals or solve differential equations, which may not have closed form solutions. This allows for the efficient and accurate computation of complex mathematical problems.

2. How does Mathematica perform numerical integration?

Mathematica uses a variety of numerical integration algorithms such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and Gaussian quadrature to approximate the integral. It also uses adaptive methods to automatically adjust the step size and error tolerance to improve the accuracy of the result.

3. Can Mathematica handle multidimensional integrals?

Yes, Mathematica has the capability to perform multidimensional integrals, including double, triple, and higher order integrals. It uses nested integration methods to handle multiple variables and dimensions.

4. How does one specify the integration range in Mathematica?

The integration range can be specified using the "Integrate" function in Mathematica. The range is defined by using the variables of integration and their limits or boundaries. This can also be done using the "NIntegrate" function for numerical integration.

5. Can Mathematica handle singularities in the integrand?

Yes, Mathematica can handle singularities in the integrand by using specialized algorithms and techniques such as contour integration and adaptive methods. It also allows for the manipulation of the integrand to avoid or cancel out singularities.