Integration or Riemann Sums: Which is More Effective for Numerical Integration?

In summary, Riemann sums are primarily taught to help students understand the concept of integration and they are not just a "nifty calculation technique". They are also essential for the proofs of Riemann integration and are the basis for numerical integration techniques. In some cases, the way an integral is set up is also based on the Riemann sum concept.
Apost8
Is there ever a situation where it is more appropriate/advantageous to use Riemann summation as opposed to evaluating an integral, or is Riemann summation merely taught in order to help the student to understand what's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
I always thought the Riemann sum was more fun to do!

I would say that Riemann sums are taught primarily for grasping the concept of integration. It becomes impractical/impossible for complex functions and I can't think of a time when it would be easier.

Riemann sums are not "merely" taught to "understand what is going on".
They are taught because the PROOFS of Riemann integration depend on them, and as it happens, it is proofs that constitute the soul of maths, not nifty calculation techniques.

Last edited:
Thats true.

Numerical integration techniques are based on Riemann sums.

Also, typically the way one sets up an integral in a particular application is typically based on the Riemann sum concept.

Related to Integration or Riemann Sums: Which is More Effective for Numerical Integration?

What is the difference between integration and Riemann sums?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve by using a definite integral. Riemann sums, on the other hand, are a method of approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and adding up their areas.

Which method is more accurate: integration or Riemann sums?

Integration is generally considered more accurate because it takes into account the entire curve, while Riemann sums only approximate the area using smaller rectangles. However, with a large enough number of rectangles, Riemann sums can also provide accurate results.

What are the advantages of using Riemann sums?

Riemann sums are useful for approximating the area under a curve when the function cannot be easily integrated, or when the integral cannot be solved analytically. They are also relatively easy to understand and implement.

When should I use integration instead of Riemann sums?

Integration should be used when an exact solution is needed, or when the function can be easily integrated. It is also more efficient for calculating the area under a curve compared to Riemann sums, which require a large number of rectangles for accurate results.

Can Riemann sums be used for functions that are not continuous?

No, Riemann sums can only be used for continuous functions. This is because the method relies on dividing the area into smaller rectangles and adding their areas, which is not possible for functions with discontinuities.