Integration (related to contour integration)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about integrating a given function and the confusion surrounding it. The question involves using a complex variable and using integration by parts, but the individual is unsure if this is the correct approach. They are seeking assistance in solving the problem.
equalP
SV77STf.png

As the tutorial has not covered this topic yet, I'm quite confused on this question. (there is another question about this topic too, but I would like to try that question after knowing how to do this question)
Q.8 (a) (I'm not sure whether I will know how to do (b) after having (a) done, I just ask (a) first)
[itex]C: t=Re^{i\theta}\\
dt=iRe^{i\theta}d\theta\\
R.H.S.=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{C}f(t)[\frac{1}{t-z}-\frac{1}{t-z^*}]dt\\
=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{C}\frac{f(t)}{t-z}dt-\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{C}\frac{f(t)}{t-z^*}dt\\
=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{f(Re^{i\theta})}{Re^{i\theta}-z}iRe^{i\theta}d\theta-\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{f(Re^{i\theta})}{Re^{i\theta}-z^*}iRe^{i\theta}d\theta\\
=\frac{R}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{f(Re^{i\theta})}{Re^{i\theta}-z}e^{i\theta}d\theta-\frac{R}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{f(Re^{i\theta})}{Re^{i\theta}-z^*}e^{i\theta}d\theta[/itex]

I'm confused that whether I should do it like this.
When I go to this step, I do not know what should I do to integrate it.
I have tried integration by part but I then got a more complicated one...
Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use PF homework format.

FAQ: Integration (related to contour integration)

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals along a specific path in the complex plane. It involves breaking down a complex function into smaller parts and then integrating each part along a closed path.

2. Why is contour integration useful?

Contour integration allows us to evaluate certain integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. What is the difference between real integration and contour integration?

The main difference between real integration and contour integration is that in real integration, the path of integration is along the real axis, while in contour integration, the path can be any closed curve in the complex plane.

4. What are the key principles of contour integration?

The key principles of contour integration include the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, which states that the value of a contour integral depends only on the values of the function inside the contour, and the Cauchy integral formula, which provides a way to evaluate contour integrals using the values of a function on the contour.

5. What are some common applications of contour integration?

Contour integration has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Some common applications include solving differential equations, evaluating complex integrals, and performing calculations in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.

Back