Integration to calculate centre of mass

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find the indefinite integral of the function (1+x3)1/2 using different methods and online integral calculators, but not getting the correct answer. The suggestion to use Wolfram Alpha is mentioned, but the complexity of the integral is acknowledged. The purpose of finding the integral is not specified.
MathewsMD
If you have the function, (1+x3)1/2, find the indefinite integral.

I have been trying different methods like substitution and rewriting it, but keep getting the wrong answer.

I keep trying to find it using online integral calculators (http://www.integral-calculator.com/#expr=(1+x^3)^(1/2)) but it's not giving me anything to work with.

Any help would be great! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
If you have the function, (1+x3)1/2, find the indefinite integral.

I have been trying different methods like substitution and rewriting it, but keep getting the wrong answer.

I keep trying to find it using online integral calculators (http://www.integral-calculator.com/#expr=(1+x^3)^(1/2)) but it's not giving me anything to work with.

Any help would be great! :)

Wolfram Alpha can integrate it. It's an unholy mess and has elliptic integrals in it. What problem are you actually trying to solve?

Related to Integration to calculate centre of mass

What is integration to calculate centre of mass?

Integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve. In the context of calculating centre of mass, integration is used to find the weighted average of all the individual masses in a system.

Why is it important to calculate centre of mass?

Calculating centre of mass is important in understanding the stability and balance of a system. It is also useful in designing structures and objects, as well as predicting their motion.

What is the formula for calculating centre of mass using integration?

The formula for calculating centre of mass using integration is: x̄ = ∫x dm / m, where x̄ is the centre of mass, x is the position of each individual mass, dm is the differential mass and m is the total mass of the system.

What types of systems can be analyzed using integration to calculate centre of mass?

Integration can be used to calculate centre of mass for both continuous systems, such as a solid object, and discrete systems, such as a group of separate objects.

Are there any limitations to using integration to calculate centre of mass?

Yes, integration assumes that the mass is evenly distributed throughout the system. It also does not take into account external forces acting on the system, which may affect its centre of mass.