Integration Using the arctan rule

• Thread starter Wreak_Peace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about finding the definite integral of dt/((4t^2) + 9) from 0 to 4 using the rule \int du/(a^2 + u^2) = (1/a) arctan (u/a) + C. The solution involves substituting u=2t and replacing dt with du/2. The output should be 1/6 arctan( 8/3) - 1/6 arctan (0) = 0.202.
Wreak_Peace

Homework Statement

Our question is \int (from 0 to 4) dt/ ((4t^2) + 9)
(For a better representation, because I fail at LaTeX: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...&f5=4&f=DefiniteIntegralCalculator.rangeend_4 )

Homework Equations

So we have the rule:

\int du/(a^2 + u^2) = (1/a) arctan (u/a) + C

The Attempt at a Solution

So, using a = 3, and u = 2t (because the rule says that at the bottom, there is a^2 + u^2, so we take the square root of 9, and 4t^2)
I get 1/3 arctan( 2t/3) from 4 to 0
1/3 arctan( 8/3) - 1/3 arctan (0)
=.404..
However, Wolfram Alpha, and my graphing calculator seem to both give me .202, and wolfram alpha says the coefficient for the final solution is 1/6 arctan..., whereas I got 1/3 arctan..., and I cannot see how it becomes 1/6..

Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wreak_Peace said:

Homework Statement

Our question is \int (from 0 to 4) dt/ ((4t^2) + 9)
(For a better representation, because I fail at LaTeX: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...&f5=4&f=DefiniteIntegralCalculator.rangeend_4 )

Homework Equations

So we have the rule:

\int du/(a^2 + u^2) = (1/a) arctan (u/a) + C

The Attempt at a Solution

So, using a = 3, and u = 2t (because the rule says that at the bottom, there is a^2 + u^2, so we take the square root of 9, and 4t^2)
I get 1/3 arctan( 2t/3) from 4 to 0
1/3 arctan( 8/3) - 1/3 arctan (0)
=.404..
However, Wolfram Alpha, and my graphing calculator seem to both give me .202, and wolfram alpha says the coefficient for the final solution is 1/6 arctan..., whereas I got 1/3 arctan..., and I cannot see how it becomes 1/6..

Thanks for reading!

When you substitute u=2t, you also have to substitute du=2*dt. So also replace dt with du/2. That's the factor of two you are missing.

Thanks, me and a couple of friends were stumped on that one.

Wreak_Peace said:
[tex] \int_0^4 \frac{dt}{4t^2 + 9}[/tex]
So, using a = 3, and u = 2t

When you put u = 2t, what do you put for dt?

FAQ: Integration Using the arctan rule

1. What is the arctan rule used for in integration?

The arctan rule, also known as the inverse tangent rule, is used to integrate functions containing the inverse tangent function (arctan). It is particularly useful in evaluating integrals involving trigonometric functions.

2. How is the arctan rule applied in integration?

The arctan rule states that the integral of arctan(x) is equal to x*arctan(x) - ln|1 + x^2| + C, where C is the constant of integration. It can be used to evaluate integrals of functions that can be rewritten in the form of arctan.

3. What are the advantages of using the arctan rule in integration?

The main advantage of using the arctan rule is that it can simplify the integration process by reducing the complexity of the integrand. It also allows for the evaluation of integrals that cannot be solved using other integration techniques.

4. Are there any limitations to using the arctan rule in integration?

Yes, the arctan rule can only be applied to functions that contain the inverse tangent function. It cannot be used for integrals involving other trigonometric functions or non-trigonometric functions.

5. Can the arctan rule be used for definite integrals?

Yes, the arctan rule can be applied to both indefinite and definite integrals. When using the arctan rule for definite integrals, the constant of integration (C) is not necessary since it will cancel out when evaluating the integral over a specific interval.

Back