Integration, where am i going wrong here?

• Thread starter devanlevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the displacement and distance traveled from t=1 to t=3 using integration. The displacement from t=1 to t=3 is 42.38 units and the distance traveled is 43.08 units, calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. The integral gives the displacement, but to find the total distance traveled, the squared values of x and y are added and then square rooted. This method can be used for more complicated curves.
devanlevin
given,-

[tex]\vec{a}[/tex][tex]_{x}[/tex]=6t[tex]^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{a}[/tex][tex]_{y}[/tex]=-4

vector V(t=0)=0
Vector R(t=0)=0

1-the displacement from the 1st to the 3rd second
2-the distance traveled fron the 2st to 3rd second
----------------------
using integration,
Vx=[tex]\int[/tex](ax)dt=2t[tex]^{3}[/tex]
Vy=[tex]\int[/tex](ay)dt=-4t

x=[tex]\int[/tex](Vx)dt=0.5t[tex]^{4}[/tex]
y=[tex]\int[/tex](Vy)dt=-2t[tex]^{2}[/tex]

then i found r(t=1)=(0.5,-4)
and r(t=3)=(40.5,-18)

delta(r)=42.38, which is the answer to question 1
----------------------
now to find the distance traveled what i would like to do is integrate the vector V from 1 to 3, but once i get an answer for x and y, how do i connect them to get the scalar D, the distance he travelled?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
can i apply pythagarus with x and y values?

That sounds right... the motion here is separable along x- and y-directions.

sorrry, should read

then i found r(t=1)=(0.5,-2)
and r(t=3)=(40.5,-18)

delta(r)=43.08, which is the answer to question 1,
i did this by adding the sqared values of x and y and then square root on the answer, i think this gives me the displacement

physics girl phd said:
That sounds right... the motion here is separable along x- and y-directions.

thats fine, but what I am looking for is the total distance travelled, not the displacemetn,,, so for example, if he traveled 10m X+, 7m X-, 20mY+,10mY-, what I am looking for is 10+7+20+10, the total travelled, not sqrt(3^2+10^2),, problem here is its a complicated curve not straightforward, x then y. how do i calculate that? won't the integral just give me the displacement? also, how do i get a single scalar value, if i know that he walked 40m on X and 16 on y is the distance travelled43.08m?/ how else can i find it other thn pythagarus

Related to Integration, where am i going wrong here?

1. What is integration in science?

Integration in science refers to the process of combining multiple pieces of information or data to form a more complete understanding or explanation of a phenomenon or concept. It involves synthesizing different perspectives or disciplines to create a more holistic view.

2. Why is integration important in scientific research?

Integration is important in scientific research because it allows for a more comprehensive understanding of complex systems or phenomena. It also helps to bridge gaps between different fields of study, leading to new insights and discoveries.

3. How is integration different from synthesis?

Integration and synthesis are often used interchangeably, but they have subtle differences. Integration involves combining different pieces of information or data to form a complete understanding, while synthesis involves creating something new by combining existing elements.

4. What are some common challenges with integration in science?

Some common challenges with integration in science include conflicting theories or data, difficulty in finding common language or understanding between different disciplines, and lack of funding or resources for interdisciplinary research.

5. How can scientists ensure effective integration in their research?

To ensure effective integration in their research, scientists can collaborate with experts from different fields, clearly define the research question or problem, critically evaluate and synthesize data from various sources, and communicate findings to a wider audience in a clear and accessible manner.