Integrator Design for Acceleration of Falling Object | Op Amps Homework Solution

To get the output voltage of the whole circuit, we can simply add the outputs of the two integrators. This will give us the position (y) of the object at any given time (t).In summary, to solve the differential acceleration of an object falling under the force of gravity, we can use two opamp integrators. The first integrator will give us the velocity (v) of the object, and the second integrator will give us the position (y) of the object. We can then add the outputs of the two integrators to get the final position of the object at any given time. I hope this helps!
graviton123

Homework Statement

Hi! I've to try and solve "use two opamp integrators to solve the differental acceleration of an object falling under the force of gravity d^2y/dt^2 = 10"

Homework Equations

Vout = -1/Rc * integral (Vin dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck as to how to approach this! I've gotten as far as the voltage being potential difference and the work can be given by force * distance and RC is the time constant for a capacitor but i don't know where to go next if anyone could offer some help itd be great!
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

It seems like you have a good understanding of the basic concepts involved in this problem. To solve the differential acceleration of an object falling under the force of gravity, we can use two opamp integrators. Let's break down the problem step by step.

First, let's define our variables. We have the acceleration (a), which is equal to 10 m/s^2 in this case. We also have the initial velocity (v0) and initial position (y0) of the object.

Next, we can use the equation for acceleration to find the velocity (v) and position (y) of the object at any given time (t):
a = dv/dt
v = at + v0
y = 1/2at^2 + v0t + y0

Now, let's focus on the opamp integrators. As you mentioned, the output voltage of an integrator is given by Vout = -1/Rc * integral (Vin dt). In our case, Vin is the input voltage, which is equal to the acceleration (a) in this problem. So, we can write:
Vout = -1/Rc * integral (a dt)

To solve this integral, we can use the equations for velocity and position that we derived earlier. Substituting these equations into the integral, we get:
Vout = -1/Rc * integral (at + v0 dt) = -1/Rc * (1/2at^2 + v0t + y0)

This is the output voltage of one of the opamp integrators. To get the output voltage of the second integrator, we can simply cascade the two integrators. This means connecting the output of the first integrator to the input of the second integrator. The output voltage of the second integrator will then be:
Vout2 = -1/Rc * integral (Vout dt)

Substituting the equation for Vout that we derived earlier, we get:
Vout2 = -1/Rc * integral (-1/Rc * (1/2at^2 + v0t + y0) dt)

Solving this integral, we get:
Vout2 = 1/Rc^2 * (1/6at^3 + 1/2v0t^2 + y0t) + C

Where C is a constant of integration. This is the final output

Related to Integrator Design for Acceleration of Falling Object | Op Amps Homework Solution

1. What is an integrator?

An integrator is a type of operational amplifier (OP amp) circuit that performs mathematical integration on an input signal. This means that the output of the integrator is the integral of the input signal over time.

2. How does an integrator work?

An integrator works by using a capacitor in the feedback loop of the OP amp. The capacitor accumulates charge from the input signal, causing the output voltage to change proportionally. This results in the output voltage being the integral of the input signal.

3. What are the applications of integrators?

Integrators have various applications in electronics, such as in audio frequency filters, signal processing, and control systems. They are also commonly used in electronic music synthesizers to create a smooth voltage sweep.

4. What are the advantages of using an integrator in a circuit?

Integrators can produce a continuous output signal from a varying input signal, which is useful in many applications. They also have a simple design and can be easily implemented using a few components.

5. How do I choose the right integrator for my circuit?

The choice of integrator will depend on the specific requirements of your circuit. Factors to consider include the input signal frequency, the desired output signal, and the accuracy and stability needed. It is important to carefully select the appropriate components and design the circuit to ensure it meets your specifications.