Interactive Plotting: Physics of a Golf Ball in Air w/ Drag Force

• Thread starter mateomy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plotting
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a slider to manipulate the initial angle and velocity of a golf ball in an interactive program. The question is whether it is possible to keep the initial plot on the screen while choosing another set of parameters for the program to run. The speaker mentions the use of VPython and notes that the program is being created using Mathematica.
mateomy
I'm doing a small project for a modelling course that is showing the physics of a golf ball going through the air, drag force included. Let's say I have an interactive slider that allows me to manipulate the initial angle and velocity (a pretty common interaction) of the ball before I hit a trigger that shows its path as a projectile through the air. Is there a way to keep the initial plot on the screen while I choose another set of parameters for the program to run. Say, I choose 45 degrees initially and then I want to show it against a 55 degree plot, is that possible? I can't find any documentation online.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you typically can do anything if you program it yourself, but that takes a bit of a learning curve. Have you heard of VPython?

Yeah, but I forgot to mention that this is only using Mathematica. I know that makes a huge difference.

Related to Interactive Plotting: Physics of a Golf Ball in Air w/ Drag Force

1. What is interactive plotting?

Interactive plotting is a type of data visualization that allows the user to manipulate and explore the plotted data in real-time. It typically involves the use of interactive tools and widgets, such as sliders and buttons, to change the parameters and see the effects on the plotted data.

2. How does the drag force affect the trajectory of a golf ball in air?

The drag force is a resistive force that acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the golf ball. As the golf ball travels through the air, it collides with air molecules and experiences a drag force, which slows it down and causes it to deviate from its initial trajectory.

3. What physics principles are involved in the interactive plotting of a golf ball's trajectory?

The interactive plotting of a golf ball's trajectory involves principles of projectile motion, aerodynamics, and Newton's laws of motion. These principles are used to calculate the trajectory of the golf ball and how it is affected by factors such as drag force and initial velocity.

4. Why is drag force important in understanding the flight of a golf ball?

Drag force plays a significant role in the flight of a golf ball because it affects the distance, height, and direction of the ball's trajectory. Understanding the impact of drag force on a golf ball's flight can help golfers make more accurate shots and adjust their strategies on the course.

5. How can interactive plotting of a golf ball's trajectory be useful in golf course design?

Interactive plotting of a golf ball's trajectory can be helpful in designing golf courses because it allows course designers to see how different factors, such as wind speed and direction, can affect the flight of a golf ball. This information can be used to strategically place hazards and obstacles on the course to make it more challenging and interesting for players.