Interested in becoming an Aerospace Engineer

In summary: He's right.In summary, the individual is interested in becoming an aerospace engineer and has asked for recommendations on their level of math proficiency and the amount of math involved in the field. They also inquire about which courses and degree to pursue in college. The expert suggests that math skills can be learned through practice and that aerospace engineering is a suitable major.
Liechtenstein
Sorry if this post has been made before, I could not find it but I have an interest in becoming an aerospace engineer but I have some questions to see if it's even right for me. One question is how good at math do you recommend I be and how much math is really involved? I'm alright at math, not my strongest but I'm not horrible at it. I'm currently a junior in high school and I'm taking AP Biology this year so I'm guessing it would be a good idea to do physics or AP physics next year, right? My final question is what courses/ degree should I pursue in college? Sorry if I worded this wrong. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Liechtenstein said:
One question is how good at math do you recommend I be

Very good. But this requires training instead of raw talent. So practice until you're good at it.

and how much math is really involved?

You'll need to know a lot of math eventually. It's quite math intensive.

so I'm guessing it would be a good idea to do physics or AP physics next year, right?

Yes

My final question is what courses/ degree should I pursue in college?

Aerospace engineering such be an obvious choice for a major.

micromass said:
Very good. But this requires training instead of raw talent. So practice until you're good at it.
You'll need to know a lot of math eventually. It's quite math intensive.
Yes
Aerospace engineering such be an obvious choice for a major.

Thank you so much!

Micromass nailed it. Read his answer again and resolve to become very good at math.

Related to Interested in becoming an Aerospace Engineer

1. What is an aerospace engineer?

An aerospace engineer is a scientist who designs, tests, and maintains aircraft, spacecraft, and other related technology. They use principles of mathematics, physics, and materials science to create safe, efficient, and technologically advanced vehicles.

2. What skills do I need to become an aerospace engineer?

To become an aerospace engineer, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in math and science. You should also have good communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team.

3. What education do I need to become an aerospace engineer?

Most aerospace engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering or a related field, such as mechanical engineering. Some may also have a master's or doctoral degree in a specialized area of aerospace engineering.

4. What job opportunities are available for aerospace engineers?

Aerospace engineers can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace and defense, government agencies, and research and development. They may also have the opportunity to work on projects related to aircraft, spacecraft, missiles, and satellites.

5. What is the average salary for an aerospace engineer?

The average salary for an aerospace engineer varies depending on experience, education, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for aerospace engineers was $116,500 in May 2019.