Interested in finding volumes with multivariables to understand the background

• Thread starter adradmin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volumes
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid bounded by x=0, y=0, z=0 and represented by the equation sqrt(x) + sqrt(y) + sqrt(z) = 1. The individual is teaching themselves integration and wonders if they can use a change of variables, specifically x=u^2, to solve the problem. Another person confirms that changing variables is possible but explains that the differential of volume must also be adjusted by multiplying it by the determinant of a 3x3 matrix, known as the Jacobian. This matrix is referred to as "T" in the conversation.
adradmin
I can't find the volume of solid sqrt(x) + sqrt(y) + sqrt(z) = 1. It's a graph but I wish I had a graphing calculator to see it. It's bounded by x=0, y=0, z=0. I'm teaching myself this stuff and think integration using a change of variables by making x=u^2? This would be a transformation of T and not T-1 right? I wonder if you guys know about these kinds of problems thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have three variables, why just change x? To answer your general question, yes, you can change variables. If, for example, you have x, y, and z all functions of the new variables u, v, and w, you will need to change dxdydz, the "differential of volume" to the corresponding differential of volume in u, v, and w. Since u, v, and w will measure distances differently, of course, you can't expect it to be just dudvdw. In fact, you need to multiply by the "Jacobian". That is the determinant of the 3 by 3 matrix whose first row is the partial derivatives of u, with respect to x, y, and z, second row is the partial derivatives of v, with respect to x, y, and z, and third row is the partial derivatives of w, with respect to x, y, and z. I think that matrix is the "T" you are referring to.

Hi there,

Thank you for your interest in finding volumes with multivariables and for sharing your specific problem with us. It sounds like you are teaching yourself some advanced mathematics, which is commendable!

To find the volume of a solid defined by a multivariable equation, you can use a technique called triple integration. This involves breaking down the solid into small infinitesimal pieces and integrating over each variable (x, y, z) to find the total volume.

In this case, you are correct in thinking that a change of variables may be helpful. By making the substitution x=u^2, you can transform the equation into a simpler form that may be easier to integrate. This would be a transformation of T, not T-1.

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide graphing calculators or solve specific problems on this platform. However, there are many online resources and textbooks that can guide you through the process of solving multivariable equations and using change of variables.

I hope this information helps and wish you all the best in your self-study journey!

Related to Interested in finding volumes with multivariables to understand the background

1. How can I find the volume of a shape with multiple variables?

In order to find the volume of a shape with multiple variables, you will need to use calculus and the concept of integration. This involves breaking down the shape into infinitesimally small pieces and summing them up to find the total volume. You will also need to have the equations or functions that define the shape in terms of the variables.

2. Can I use the same method for finding volumes with multivariables for any shape?

Yes, the method of using calculus and integration to find volumes applies to any shape, as long as you have the equations or functions that define the shape in terms of the variables. However, the complexity of the shape and the equations may vary, making the process more challenging.

3. Why is it important to understand the background of finding volumes with multivariables?

Understanding the background and principles behind finding volumes with multivariables is crucial in order to properly apply the method and accurately calculate the volume. It also allows you to understand the limitations and assumptions of the method, and how to troubleshoot any errors that may arise.

4. Are there any real-world applications for finding volumes with multivariables?

Yes, finding volumes with multivariables has many real-world applications, especially in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It is used to calculate the volume of complex shapes and objects, such as buildings, bridges, and even natural phenomena like clouds and ocean currents.

5. Can I use technology to help me find volumes with multivariables?

Yes, there are various mathematical software and tools that can assist with finding volumes with multivariables. These tools can handle complex equations and provide accurate results, making the process much faster and easier. However, it is still important to understand the principles and background of the method in order to effectively use these tools.