Interested to learn Physics, But I don't know what to learn

In summary, the conversation is about using physics concepts in software development, specifically in creating practical real-world applications and robots. The participants suggest starting with Hyperphysics and being specific in asking questions. They also mention the broad range of physics topics that can be applied in software development, such as electromagnetism, mechanics, and optics. Specific examples are given, such as using physics in designing robots for cooking and agriculture, and studying machine learning and algorithms for software development. The conversation ends with two questions about the specific areas of physics that need to be studied for creating robots with motor functions and vision capabilities.
velraman
I like to learn Physics related to my career. I'm a software Engineer with good development experience in Java.
Looking to find ways how can I use Java with Physics

Likes Zacarias Nason
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Maybe start with Hyperphysics, and ask specific question you have after that reading here. :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Maybe start with Hyperphysics, and ask specific question you have after that reading here. :smile:
This Hyperphysics?

I think HyperPhysics is combination of all subject of Physics... But Let me go narrowly.

Which part of Physics concepts we can use in software development to develop a practical real application products.?

velraman said:
Which part of Physics concepts we can use in software development to develop a practical real application products.?

All of them, more-or-less. :wink: [Edit: Pretty much any gadget or piece of instrumentation these days that interacts with the real world has some sort of embedded, software-based algorithms.] I suppose it's all up to your creativity and imagination.

Is there anything in particular you had in mind to create?

Last edited:
velraman said:
I think HyperPhysics is combination of all subject of Physics... But Let me go narrowly.

If you can be more specific, as collinsmark mentioned, we can give you some focused examples.

However, off the top of my head I can think of one area of software that could use some love: RF design. Specifically, programs that implement E&M concepts. I've been using SEMCAD a lot for my senior project and find it incredibly frustrating to use at times. Something akin to Sonnet as far as ease-of-use/intuitiveness goes, but still let's me design things like co-planar waveguides1, would be great.

1 Can't do this in Sonnet because you're unable to edit/manipulate the GND plane. =(

********BackGround Context to answer the below questions***********

I'm interested in making

1. Robots than can cook foods.
2. Robots can help humans cultivate various crops.

For software related stuff, I started studying Machine learning and algorithms.

I studied Physics in high school in 2001, after that I have interest now to learn physics.

********BackGround Context to answer the below questions*****

What Part of Physics need to be studied to construct such a robot to perform mechanics related stuff?. I looked into physics, it has such a broad area of subjects.

My Thoughts arose after thinking about robots, raised questions in physics

Question 1:
To perform any actions in robots we need a motor or any device which giving output forces or movements.
I like to invent some simple techniques to generate force or work(To make robot move like a human it requires 100's of motors).
What Kind of Physics Subjects I need to study here(like magnets, current ?)Question 2:
Vision related stuff, How make to robot to perceive vision like human.
What Kind of Physics Subjects I need to study here ?(Like optics)

Please answer the two questions!

Related to Interested to learn Physics, But I don't know what to learn

1. What are some good resources to learn physics?

Some good resources to learn physics include textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. You can also join a study group or find a tutor to help guide your learning.

2. How can I make learning physics more enjoyable?

One way to make learning physics more enjoyable is to find real-life applications and examples of the concepts you are studying. You can also challenge yourself with fun experiments or simulations.

3. What are the basic concepts I should focus on when learning physics?

Some basic concepts to focus on when learning physics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics. It is also important to have a strong understanding of mathematical principles.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and start with simpler problems before moving on to more complex ones. Also, try to understand the underlying principles and concepts behind each problem rather than just memorizing formulas.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning physics?

One way to stay motivated while learning physics is to set achievable goals for yourself and track your progress. It can also help to find a study partner or group to keep you accountable and to discuss difficult concepts with. Additionally, try to find the aspects of physics that interest you the most and focus on those areas.