Interesting calculus of variations problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses ideas for calculus of variations problems to be used as a classical mechanics class project. One suggestion is to verify that the path of a projectile in a uniform gravitational field minimizes the action by comparing it to a one-parameter family of curves with the same endpoints. Another idea is to refer to the "structure and interpretation of classical mechanics" book for further discussion on the topic. However, it is mentioned that all discussions on this topic should be done in the HW/Coursework forum.
Montrealist
Hi, I would like to know if anyone has good ideas for problems involving calculus of variations, other than the classic textbook questions (brachistochrone, Fermat, catenary, etc..) that I could create as a classical mechanics class project? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Montrealist said:
Hi, I would like to know if anyone has good ideas for problems involving calculus of variations, other than the classic textbook questions (brachistochrone, Fermat, catenary, etc..) that I could create as a classical mechanics class project? Thank you

How about verifying that the path of a projectile in a uniform gravitational field really does minimize the action?

Since we know the path from Newtonian mechanics is a parabola

y = h - ax2 if x is measured from the peak y=h,

it would be interesting to pick a one-parameter family of curves, say

y = h - bnxn

that has the same endpoints. Then calculate the action (the time integral of kinetic minus potential energy) as a function of n and show that it is minimized for n=2.

BBB

check the "structure and interpretation of classical mechanics" book (available online)

All discussion on such topic must be done in the HW/Coursework forum.

Zz.

As a fellow scientist, I find the topic of calculus of variations to be quite fascinating as it allows us to find the optimal solution to a problem by minimizing or maximizing a certain functional. In terms of interesting problems, I would suggest looking into the application of calculus of variations in economics, where it is used to find the optimal production or consumption levels for a given system. Another interesting area to explore could be in fluid mechanics, where the calculus of variations is used to derive the equations of motion for a fluid flow. Additionally, you could also look into problems involving the principle of least action in classical mechanics, which is closely related to the calculus of variations. I hope these suggestions help in creating a unique and challenging project for your class. Good luck!

Related to Interesting calculus of variations problems?

1. What is the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal solution to a problem, typically involving finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.

2. What are some real-world applications of the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is used in a variety of fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. Some examples of real-world applications include finding the optimal path for a rocket to take, minimizing energy consumption in a building design, and maximizing profits in a business.

3. How is the calculus of variations different from traditional calculus?

Traditional calculus deals with finding the derivative and integral of a function, while the calculus of variations focuses on finding the optimal function itself. Additionally, the calculus of variations often involves finding a function that satisfies a given set of conditions, rather than solving for a specific value.

4. What are some common techniques used in solving calculus of variations problems?

Some common techniques include the Euler-Lagrange equation, the principle of least action, and the method of variations of parameters. These techniques involve manipulating the given function and its derivatives to find the optimal solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using the calculus of variations?

While the calculus of variations can be used to solve a wide range of problems, it does have some limitations. It may not always provide an exact solution and may require numerical approximations. Additionally, some problems may be too complex or have too many variables to be solved using traditional calculus of variations methods.