Interesting problem involving arithmetic progression

In summary, the problem at hand is showing that in a finite arithmetic progression with two terms equaling 3, all other terms must also equal 3. The concept of arithmetic progression and the difference between successive terms is introduced. After some calculations, it is determined that the difference between successive terms is 0, leading to the conclusion that all terms in the progression must equal the initial term of 3.
Bipolarity
I just came up with a problem I hope you will find interesting, but I can't seem it solve it myself. I thought of induction as some guide, but am not sure how to proceed.

There are N terms in some finite arithmetic progression. Two of those terms are equal to 3. Prove that all terms in this progression also equal 3.

BiP

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are making life too hard for yourself :)

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers such that the difference of any two successive members of the sequence is a constant.

If term xi=a and xi+n=b then the difference between successive terms Δx must be Δx=(b-a)/n.

If a=b then Δx must be ...

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
You are making life too hard for yourself :)

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers such that the difference of any two successive members of the sequence is a constant.

If term xi=a and xi+n=b then the difference between successive terms Δx must be Δx=|a-b|/n.

If a=b then Δx must be ...

Thanks!

So 2=2+n*d
0 = n*d
d = 0, since n is not 0.

Since d=0, every term must equal the ith term, which happens to be 2!

Genius!

BiP

Bipolarity said:
There are N terms in some finite arithmetic progression. Two of those terms are equal to 3. Prove that all terms in this progression also equal 3.

BiP

Bipolarity said:
Thanks!

So 2=2+n*d
0 = n*d
d = 0, since n is not 0.

Since d=0, every term must equal the ith term, which happens to be 2!
I'm assuming that the work above is related to the problem in the original post. The i-th term can't be 2 if you're proving that all the terms in the progression are 3.

Mark44 said:
I'm assuming that the work above is related to the problem in the original post. The i-th term can't be 2 if you're proving that all the terms in the progression are 3.

Sorry my mistake, I meant to write 3.

BiP

Related to Interesting problem involving arithmetic progression

What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. For example, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 is an arithmetic progression with a common difference of 2.

What are some real-world applications of arithmetic progressions?

Arithmetic progressions are used in various fields including finance, physics, and computer science. For example, compound interest in finance can be modeled using arithmetic progressions, the motion of objects with constant acceleration in physics can also be described using arithmetic progressions, and arithmetic progressions are used in algorithms for efficient data storage and retrieval in computer science.

How can I find the sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic progression?

The sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic progression can be found using the formula Sn = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where a is the first term and d is the common difference. This formula is also known as the arithmetic series formula.

What is the nth term of an arithmetic progression?

The nth term of an arithmetic progression can be found using the formula an = a + (n-1)d, where a is the first term and d is the common difference.

How can I prove that a given sequence is an arithmetic progression?

To prove that a sequence is an arithmetic progression, you can show that the difference between consecutive terms is constant. This can be done by calculating the difference between any two consecutive terms and showing that it is the same for all pairs of consecutive terms in the sequence.

Back