Interesting system of ODE, application in physics?

In summary, the conversation is about a project on system of ordinal differential equations and their applications in physics. The main task is to find where this system appears in physics. The person is seeking help and mentions that articles on higher or lower dimensional systems could be useful. They also provide links to articles on stimulated Raman adiabatic passage analogues and a possible resource on arxiv.
atanas1234
Hi all,
I have a project to do for system of ordinal differential equations and their applications in physics.
One of my tasks is to find where in physics the following system of ordinal differential equations appear:

dA1(x)/dx=f(x).A2(x)
dA2(x)/dx=f(x).A1(x)+ h(x).A2(x)+ g(x).A3(x)
dA3(x)/dx= g(x).A2(x)

Could someone help me?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also application of higher dimensional system could be useful

dA1(x)/dx=f(x).A4(x)
dA2(x)/dx= g(x).A4(x)
dA3(x)/dx= k(x).A4(x)
dA4(x)/dx=f(x).A1(x)+ g(x).A2(x)+ k(x).A3(x) +h(x).A4(x)

or application of lower dimensional system
dA1(x)/dx=-f(x).A1(x)+ g(x).A2(x)
dA2(x)/dx= g(x).A1(x)+ f(x).A2(x)

I found some suitable articles, but it is not exactly what I need
Any way something like this could help me
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0953-4075/42/5/055504/
this Is Stimulated Raman adiabatic passage analogues in classical physics
or here in the arxiv
http://arxiv.org/abs/0812.0361
If some could give something similar it will be grate

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Interesting system of ODE, application in physics?

1. What is an ODE and how is it different from other types of equations?

An ODE, or Ordinary Differential Equation, is a type of mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is different from other types of equations because it involves derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a function.

2. What makes a system of ODEs interesting?

A system of ODEs is considered interesting when it has multiple variables and interdependent equations, making it more complex and challenging to solve. These systems often arise in real-world applications, such as physics, and can model dynamic behavior.

3. How is a system of ODEs applied in physics?

A system of ODEs has many applications in physics, such as modeling physical systems like springs, pendulums, and circuits. It can also be used to describe the motion of objects under the influence of forces, such as in Newton's laws of motion.

4. What are some techniques for solving a system of ODEs?

There are various techniques for solving a system of ODEs, including analytical methods like separation of variables and substitution, and numerical methods like Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods. Choosing the appropriate method depends on the complexity of the system and the desired level of accuracy.

5. Are there any real-world examples of systems of ODEs in physics?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of systems of ODEs in physics. Some examples include modeling the motion of a projectile, describing the behavior of a swinging pendulum, and predicting the temperature distribution in a rod as it cools. These systems allow us to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems in the real world.