Interference due to a thin film

In summary, the problem involves finding the thickness of a thin film with a refractive index of 1.50 surrounded by air, where wavelengths of light at 360, 450, and 602 nm experience destructive interference. The formula 2t = m(λ/n) can be used to determine the possible thicknesses, but only one thickness will cause destructive interference for all three wavelengths. The variable m represents the number of wavelengths or half-wavelengths in the path length difference, and the goal is to find the path length difference that will cause all three wavelengths to destructively interfere without changing the thickness.
Jimmy25

Homework Statement

A thin film with a refractive index of n=1.50 is surrounded by air. Wavelengths of light 360, 450, and 602 nm are the only visible wavelengths missing from the reflected light. What is the thickness of the film.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

One of the rays will be 180 degrees out of phase from the other so destructive interference should occur when:

2t = mλ'

So I tried:

2t = mλ'
2t = m(λ/n)
t = (1)(360/1.5)
t = 120 nm

But then I tried the same thing for another one of the given wavelengths:

2t = mλ'
2t = m(λ/n)
t = (1)(450/1.5)
t = 150 nm

For what is a seemingly simple problem I cannot see what I am doing incorrectly.
(the answer is 600 nm I just don't understand how to find it)

Physics news on Phys.org
First off it seems like you made a typo. 602 nm light will not experience destructive interference from a thin film of 600 nm. It seems like you meant to type 600 nm light.

Now to the problem. Clearly you are only allowed to have one thickness. There will be one thickness that satisfies destructive interference for all those wavelengths (it doesn't have to be the same order though). So what you should do is make a table of all the thicknesses that cause destructive interference (try the first 5 orders) and see what matches up.

Okay, but why doesn't it work out for all orders?

Jimmy25 said:
Okay, but why doesn't it work out for all orders?

It works for exactly one order (or none at all) for any given wavelength.
However, it works for a different order for different wavelengths.

You'll notice these are only the wavelengths of visible light where the destructive interference is observable...if infrared light were considered, you'd notice a few more, and if ultraviolet light were used you'd notice many, many more.

I'm still struggling to understand why.

For every integer value of m won't the two rays be exactly out of phase? And therefore won't there be destructive interference for any integer value of m?

Jimmy25 said:
I'm still struggling to understand why.

For every integer value of m won't the two rays be exactly out of phase? And therefore won't there be destructive interference for any integer value of m?

Yes that formula will show all possible thicknesses that will cause destructive interference. However, you are definitely only allowed one thickness that causes destructive interference for all those wavelengths. Think about it, there's no way that the film would change in thickness for different wavelengths of light.

For enlightenment, try plotting wavenumber vs. m for the known solutions.

What is wavenumber?

1/wavelength

I will try to reword what I am struggling with.

I have 3 wavelengths of light for which destructive interference occurs 360, 450, and 602 nm (602 nm is what is in the question).

Destructive interference will occur at:

For λ =360 nm

t = 120m

For λ = 450 nm

t = 150m

For λ = 602 nm

t = 200m

Okay, so now I have 3 equations and m may vary between them. It is obvious that with the restriction that m must be an integer that t=600 nm with m=5,4,3 respectively.

I don't have a good understanding of what m is so I am confused as to why it varies between different wavelengths.

m has no units.

[tex]{m{\lambda}\over{n}}=2t[/tex]
[tex]m{{\lambda}\over{2}}=nt[/tex]
m is the number of half-wavelengths between the front and back of the film. (corrected for index of refraction, of course)

Last edited:
Jimmy25 said:
I will try to reword what I am struggling with.

I have 3 wavelengths of light for which destructive interference occurs 360, 450, and 602 nm (602 nm is what is in the question).

Destructive interference will occur at:

For λ =360 nm

t = 120m

For λ = 450 nm

t = 150m

For λ = 602 nm

t = 200m

Okay, so now I have 3 equations and m may vary between them. It is obvious that with the restriction that m must be an integer that t=600 nm with m=5,4,3 respectively.

I don't have a good understanding of what m is so I am confused as to why it varies between different wavelengths.

I don't think it should be 602 nm. If you plug that number into the equation (602/1.5)m = 2t

You end up with t = 200 and 2/3...so something is clearly wrong.

Like PhaseShifter said, m tells you the number of wavelengths (or half-wavelengths depending on the equation) in the path length difference (in this case 2t). Regardless of m the result is the same, destructive interference. So your job is to find the path length difference that will cause ALL of those wavelengths to destructively interfere without changing the thickness.

FAQ: Interference due to a thin film

1. What is interference due to a thin film?

Interference due to a thin film is a phenomenon that occurs when a light wave passes through a thin film of a transparent material, such as a soap bubble or an oil slick. The light waves reflect off the top and bottom surfaces of the film, causing them to interfere with each other and produce a pattern of light and dark areas.

2. How does the thickness of the thin film affect interference?

The thickness of the thin film plays a crucial role in interference. If the film is very thin (less than a wavelength of light), the waves will be nearly in phase and the interference will be constructive, resulting in bright colors. If the film is thicker (more than a wavelength of light), the waves will be out of phase and the interference will be destructive, resulting in dark or dull colors.

3. What factors affect the colors produced by interference in a thin film?

The colors produced by interference in a thin film are affected by the thickness and refractive index of the film, the angle of incidence of the light, and the wavelength of the light. These factors can all alter the phase difference between the reflected waves, resulting in different patterns of interference and different colors.

4. How is interference due to a thin film used in everyday life?

Interference due to a thin film is used in many everyday applications, such as anti-reflective coatings on glasses and camera lenses, color-changing paint, and the iridescent colors seen on CDs and DVDs. It is also used in scientific instruments like interferometers to measure very small distances and differences in refractive index.

5. What are some limitations of interference due to a thin film?

One limitation of interference due to a thin film is that it only produces colors when the light is viewed at a specific angle. This means that the colors may appear different when viewed from different angles. Additionally, the colors produced by thin film interference are highly dependent on the properties of the film and the light source, making it difficult to control and reproduce specific colors consistently.

Back