Interference in Thin Films, figuring out the phases

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving interference of light waves in a thin layer of material and determining the phase interference to be either maximum or minimum. The given parameters for the problem are also provided. The individual is seeking clarification on why the equation for a maximum involves multiplying the integer m by 2 and adding 1/2. The conversation also references an online resource with helpful animations and suggests drawing a wave to better understand the concept.
emmy

Homework Statement

I don't have a question on a specific problem, I am more caught up in the determination of the phases- I'll give a general problem to use as an example:

In Fig. 35-41, light is incident perpendicularly on a thin layer of material 2 that lies between (thicker) materials 1 and 3. The waves of rays r1 and r2 interfere, and here we consider the type of interference to be either maximum (max) or minimum (min). We are given:

n1=1.32
n2=1.75
n3=1.39
we want to find a max
for the 3rd least thickness of L (in nm)
λ=382nm (in air)

Figure:
nt0043-y.gif

rays are tilted for clarity

Homework Equations

Since we want a maximum, the general equation for a maximum would be:
2L=(m+1/2)λ/n2

The Attempt at a Solution

in the case of this problem, we add an additional λ/2 for the incidence of r1 on n2.
so my real question is this-

why is it that you multiply m by 2 to end up with 2m+1 in this case? when do you just use (m+1)λ vs (2m+1/2)λ

I've been reading and researching for hours now, so any help would truly be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
High-speed to slow speed you get a phase inversion.
http://www.kettering.edu/physics/drussell/Demos/reflect/reflect.html
... it has neat animations of the effect for string, you have to scroll down for the general.

That 2m+1 gives you an odd number - do you see why an odd number is needed?

The trick is to try drawing a wave as it propagates through the film. What happens if it's an even number?

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Interference in Thin Films, figuring out the phases

1. What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves interact with a thin layer of a transparent material, resulting in changes to the wavelength and intensity of the light.

2. How does thin film interference work?

Thin film interference is caused by the reflection and transmission of light waves at the boundaries of the thin film. When these waves interact, they can either constructively or destructively interfere, resulting in a change in the overall intensity of the light.

3. What are the different phases involved in thin film interference?

The different phases involved in thin film interference include the incident wave, the reflected wave, and the transmitted wave. The phase difference between these waves determines whether constructive or destructive interference occurs.

4. How is the thickness of a thin film determined using interference?

The thickness of a thin film can be determined by measuring the wavelength of light that experiences constructive interference. By examining the wavelength and the refractive index of the material, the thickness of the film can be calculated using the equation: t = (m * λ) / (2 * n), where t is the thickness, m is the order of interference, λ is the wavelength, and n is the refractive index.

5. What are the practical applications of thin film interference?

Thin film interference has many practical applications, including anti-reflective coatings on eyeglasses and camera lenses, thin film solar cells, and the creation of colorful patterns on soap bubbles and oil slicks. It is also used in various scientific and industrial applications, such as in microscopy and surface analysis techniques.

Back