Interference pattern formed by an air wedge.

In summary, when an air wedge is illuminated from above with a 600nm light, 30 dark fringes are observed. The radius of the wire is 2t+\lambda.
semc
An air wedge is formed between two glass plates separated at one edge by a very fine wire. When the wedge is illuminated from above by a 600nm light and viewed from above, 30 dark fringes are observed. Calculate the radius of the wire.

Am I correct to consider only the bottom surface of the top plate and the top surface from the bottom plate for the interference pattern? By considering that, I got [tex]2t=\frac{m\lambda}{2}[/tex]. But what do I do after that?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi semc

the wedge is illuminated from above. so, traveling through glass walls has no effect on light waves. no additional path difference is caused. it is perfectly alright to consider only the middle surfaces.

how did you arrive at that conclusion? what is t, m?

It is supposed to be 2t=m.lambda instead of what I wrote.(For some weird reason I can't use the latex o_O) t would be the thickness of the air wedge, the space between the plates, and m is the order of interference where m takes on positive integer values. Let the top plate be the 1st plate and the bottom plate be the 2nd plate. The refracted ray from the bottom surface of the 1st plate undergoes no phase while the reflected ray from the top surface of the 2nd plate undergoes 180o phase change. So the path difference in the air wedge should be integer values of the wavelength? But I have no idea how to go on after this. By the way why do we not consider the rays coming from the top surface of the 1st plate and the rays from the bottom surface of the 2nd plate?

We are viewing the whole experiment from the top. So we consider the rays coming from the top surface of the 1st plate.

One ray gets reflected from air (so no phase change) and the other travels through the glass, gets reflected from the 2nd plate (i.e a phase change of 180 = path change of [tex]\lambda[/tex], and again travels up through the 1st plate.

so the net path difference = 2t + [tex]\lambda[/tex] = m [tex]\lambda[/tex]

(instead of just 2t, as you had earlier written)i guess, if light is incident close to the wire, then the diameter of wire would be equal to the thickness of wedge.
now you would know what to do next...

Related to Interference pattern formed by an air wedge.

What is an interference pattern formed by an air wedge?

An interference pattern formed by an air wedge is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more light waves interact with each other in a thin film of air. This results in a visible pattern of light and dark fringes, known as interference fringes, that can be observed with the naked eye.

What causes an interference pattern to form in an air wedge?

An interference pattern in an air wedge is formed due to the superposition of two or more light waves. When these waves meet at different angles, they interfere with each other, either constructively or destructively, creating a visible pattern of light and dark fringes.

How is an air wedge used to create an interference pattern?

An air wedge is created by placing a thin, flat piece of glass or plastic between two flat surfaces. When light passes through this wedge, it is refracted at different angles, creating interference between the waves and producing an interference pattern.

What factors affect the appearance of an interference pattern in an air wedge?

The appearance of an interference pattern in an air wedge can be affected by various factors such as the thickness of the wedge, the wavelength of the light used, and the angle at which the light enters the wedge. These factors can alter the interference pattern and the spacing between the fringes.

What are some real-world applications of an interference pattern formed by an air wedge?

The interference pattern formed by an air wedge has many practical applications, including in the manufacturing of thin films and coatings, in the study of the properties of light, and in the production of holograms and diffraction gratings. It is also used in interferometers, which are instruments that measure tiny changes in distance or wavelength.