Intermediate subgroups between symmetric groups

In summary: S_{n-1}\subset N.In summary, the problem requires showing that the subgroup H of S_n, consisting of permutations that fix 1, is isomorphic to S_{n-1} and that there are no proper subgroups of S_n that properly contain H. To prove this, we can use the orbit-stabilizer theorem and show that if S_{n-1} is a subset of a group N, then the orbit of any element must be the entire set {1,...,n}. This implies that N must be equal to S_n, contradicting the assumption that
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

For n>1, show that the subgroup H of [itex] S_n [/itex] (the symmetric group on n-letters) consisting of permutations that fix 1 is isomorphic to [itex] S_{n-1} [/itex]. Prove that there are no proper subgroups of [itex] S_n [/itex] that properly contain H.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part is fairly straightforward. Using cycle notation, we ignore the trivial cycle on 1, then just reduce all other components by 1. It can be shown to be bijective hence giving the desired isomorphism.

Now for the second part, I figure this simply amounts to showing that there is no group N such that [itex] S_{n-1} \subsetneq N \subsetneq S_n [/itex]. My first thought is to attack the problem via contradiction. If such a subgroup existed, it would be necessary that [itex] (n-1)! \big| |N| \big| n! [/itex]. Unfortunately, I cannot find a reason this can't be true, except when n is prime.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kreizhn! :smile:

Kreizhn said:

Homework Statement

For n>1, show that the subgroup H of [itex] S_n [/itex] (the symmetric group on n-letters) consisting of permutations that fix 1 is isomorphic to [itex] S_{n-1} [/itex]. Prove that there are no proper subgroups of [itex] S_n [/itex] that properly contain H.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part is fairly straightforward. Using cycle notation, we ignore the trivial cycle on 1, then just reduce all other components by 1. It can be shown to be bijective hence giving the desired isomorphism.

Now for the second part, I figure this simply amounts to showing that there is no group N such that [itex] S_{n-1} \subsetneq N \subsetneq S_n [/itex]. My first thought is to attack the problem via contradiction. If such a subgroup existed, it would be necessary that [itex] (n-1)! \big| |N| \big| n! [/itex]. Unfortunately, I cannot find a reason this can't be true, except when n is prime.

Did you see the orbit-stabilizer theorem? Your group N acts on {1,...,n}, so by orbit-stabilizer, we have that

[tex]|N|=|G(x)||G_x|[/tex]

for all x. Now take x=1.

It seems like the stabilizer of identity should be trivial, and the orbit of identity is the whole group. So then [itex] |N| = |S_n| [/itex] ? And this would be a contradiction since we assumed N was proper.

Kreizhn said:
It seems like the stabilizer of identity should be trivial, and the orbit of identity is the whole group. So then [itex] |N| = |S_n| [/itex] ? And this would be a contradiction since we assumed N was proper.

No, I didn't mean 1 to be the identity. I meant 1 to be an element of the set {1,...,n}.

We know that N acts on {1,...,n}. So we can calculate G(1), G(2),...,G(n). And we can also calculate the stabilizers of these elements.
So, what is the orbit and what is the stabilizer of 1? (or 2,...,or n)

Oh yes, silly me. It's a group action on the set {1,..., n} so it wouldn't make sense for x to be identity.

Okay, now H would be a subset of the stabilizer of 1, since elements of H fix 1. Though since H is properly contained in N, the orbit is not just {1}.

If the orbit were "full" (I guess some say trivial), so that G(1) = {1,..., n} then we would get
[tex] |N| = |G(x)||G_x| \geq |H| n = (n-1)! n = n! [/tex]
which implies [itex] N = S_n. [/itex]. We assumed that N was a proper subset so the orbit cannot be trivial, and in particular [itex] \exists m \in \{ 1,\ldots, n \} [/itex] such that [itex] \forall \sigma \in N, \{ 1 \} \sigma \neq \{ m \} [/itex] (where I'm using right-actions).

Is this the right path? Or is there a simple "order argument" that is obvious that I'm just missing?

Kreizhn said:
Oh yes, silly me. It's a group action on the set {1,..., n} so it wouldn't make sense for x to be identity.

Okay, now H would be a subset of the stabilizer of 1, since elements of H fix 1. Though since H is properly contained in N, the orbit is not just {1}.

If the orbit were "full" (I guess some say trivial), so that G(1) = {1,..., n} then we would get
[tex] |N| = |G(x)||G_x| \geq |H| n = (n-1)! n = n! [/tex]
which implies [itex] N = S_n. [/itex]. We assumed that N was a proper subset so the orbit cannot be trivial, and in particular [itex] \exists m \in \{ 1,\ldots, n \} [/itex] such that [itex] \forall \sigma \in N, \{ 1 \} \sigma \neq \{ m \} [/itex] (where I'm using right-actions).

Is this the right path? Or is there a simple "order argument" that is obvious that I'm just missing?

This is indeed the right path. So you must prove that if [itex]S_{n-1}\subset N[/itex], then the orbit is everything. That is

[tex]G(1)=\{1,...,n\}[/tex]

FAQ: Intermediate subgroups between symmetric groups

1. What are intermediate subgroups between symmetric groups?

Intermediate subgroups between symmetric groups refer to the subgroups that lie between the symmetric group and the trivial group, which contains only the identity element. In other words, these subgroups have more elements than the trivial group but fewer elements than the full symmetric group.

2. How are intermediate subgroups related to symmetric groups?

Intermediate subgroups are considered to be important building blocks in the study of symmetric groups. They provide a way to understand the structure and properties of symmetric groups by examining the properties of their subgroups.

3. Can intermediate subgroups be found in other types of groups besides symmetric groups?

Yes, intermediate subgroups can be found in other types of groups, such as finite groups and infinite groups. However, they are most commonly studied in the context of symmetric groups.

4. What is the significance of studying intermediate subgroups between symmetric groups?

Studying intermediate subgroups allows us to better understand the structure and behavior of symmetric groups, which have numerous applications in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Additionally, the study of intermediate subgroups can lead to new insights and discoveries in group theory.

5. Are there any known examples of intermediate subgroups between symmetric groups?

Yes, there are many known examples of intermediate subgroups between symmetric groups, including the alternating groups, dihedral groups, and wreath products. These examples have been extensively studied and have important applications in various areas of mathematics.