Intermediate Value Property for Discontinuous Functions

In summary: For part b, I felt it has the Intermediate Value Property (IVP), because I can do something with the IVT. Those were my thoughts and ideas.Can you show that the limit as approached positively is different from that as approached negatively? Or that it's different than f(0)? So in other words,##\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) \neq f(0)##?For b, I'm not really sure. I thought one of the requirements was that f(x) was continuous...
JasMath33

Homework Statement

upload_2016-6-27_9-0-49.png
'
Here is the given problem

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. For part a, I felt it was not continuous because of the sin(1/x) as it gets closer to 0, the graph switches between 1 and -1. Then I felt it might be continuous, therefore I am not sure.

b. For part b, I felt it has the Intermediate Value Property (IVP), because I can do something with the IVT. Those were my thoughts and ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show that the limit as approached positively is different from that as approached negatively? Or that it's different than f(0)? So in other words,
##\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) \neq f(0)##?

For b, I'm not really sure. I thought one of the requirements was that f(x) was continuous...
Perhaps this will be of some use.
http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...te-value-property-and-discontinuous-functions
Looks like you need to look at the derivatives near zero.

For part a you would have to do what BiGyElLoWhAt suggested. For b I believe you would have to prove that the function in either monotone increasing or decreasing. IVP says that for any x value between two other x values, the y value will be in between the y values for the other two x values.

Last edited:
Screenshot_2016-06-28-13-20-07.png

IVP theorem

Last edited:
JasMath33 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 102545'
Here is the given problem

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. For part a, I felt it was not continuous because of the sin(1/x) as it gets closer to 0, the graph switches between 1 and -1. Then I felt it might be continuous, therefore I am not sure.

If there exist sequences [itex]x_n[/itex] and [itex]y_n[/itex] such that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n = \lim_{n \to \infty} y_n = 0[/itex] but [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} f(x_n) \neq \lim_{n \to \infty} f(y_n)[/itex] then [itex]f[/itex] is not continuous at zero.

FAQ: Intermediate Value Property for Discontinuous Functions

1. What is the Intermediate Value Property?

The Intermediate Value Property (IVP) is a mathematical concept that states that if a continuous function takes on two values, then it must also take on all values in between those two values. In other words, if a function has a starting point and an ending point, it must also pass through every point in between.

2. How is the Intermediate Value Property used in mathematics?

The IVP is commonly used in mathematical analysis to prove the existence of solutions to equations or to prove the existence of roots for a function. It is also used in calculus to prove the existence of local extrema for a function.

3. What is the difference between the Intermediate Value Property and the Mean Value Theorem?

While both the IVP and the Mean Value Theorem deal with continuous functions, they are different concepts. The IVP states that a function must pass through all intermediate points between two given points, while the Mean Value Theorem states that at some point between two given points, the slope of a function will be equal to the average slope between the two points.

4. Can the Intermediate Value Property be applied to all functions?

No, the IVP only applies to continuous functions. A continuous function is one that has no breaks or jumps in its graph, meaning that you can draw the graph without lifting your pencil. Discontinuous functions, such as step functions, do not follow the IVP.

5. How is the Intermediate Value Property related to the concept of completeness?

The IVP is closely related to the concept of completeness in mathematics. A set of numbers is considered complete if it contains all of its limit points. The IVP ensures that a continuous function will take on all values between two given points, which is similar to the idea that a complete set contains all of its limit points.