Internal resistance understanding

In summary, internal resistance is the resistance within a device or material that affects the flow of electric current. It is important to understand in order to accurately measure and troubleshoot current flow, and is affected by factors such as material type, dimensions, and temperature. Internal resistance can be measured using a multimeter and has practical applications in designing electronic devices, studying battery performance, and ensuring efficiency and safety in electrical systems.
waterliyl
Hello,
I'm having difficulty trying to understand internal resistance of any component. I don't understand how exactly the internal resistance affects the current and what exactly is the terminal pd?

And for calculating resistance, voltage, pd, emf, current and all those basic things - what are the basic formulas that could help?

Thanks,
Aakeen

Physics news on Phys.org
waterliyl said:
I don't understand how exactly the internal resistance affects the current and what exactly is the terminal pd?
Start here: Battery With Internal Resistance

Thank you!

FAQ: Internal resistance understanding

What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance is the resistance within a device or material that opposes the flow of electric current. It is caused by factors such as the type of material, temperature, and the dimensions of the object.

Why is understanding internal resistance important?

Understanding internal resistance is important in order to accurately measure and calculate the flow of electric current in a circuit. It also helps to identify and troubleshoot any potential problems that may arise due to high internal resistance.

What factors affect internal resistance?

Factors that affect internal resistance include the type of material used, the length and thickness of the material, and the temperature. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects in the material can also affect internal resistance.

How is internal resistance measured?

Internal resistance can be measured using a multimeter, which measures the voltage drop across a known resistance. By measuring the voltage drop and current in a circuit, the internal resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law (R = V/I).

What are some practical applications of understanding internal resistance?

Understanding internal resistance is important in designing and building electronic devices and circuits, as well as in the study and analysis of battery performance. It also plays a role in the efficiency and safety of electrical systems in industries such as transportation and energy production.

Back