Internal semidirect product and roots of unity

In summary, an internal semidirect product is a mathematical concept used in group theory to describe the structure of a group that is the product of two subgroups. It differs from a direct product in that the subgroups are not required to be normal in the larger group and interact through a homomorphism. Roots of unity are complex numbers that satisfy the equation x^n = 1 and have many applications in mathematics, including in the construction of internal semidirect products. In real-world applications, internal semidirect products and roots of unity are used in fields such as physics, coding theory, signal processing, cryptography, and music theory.
mahler1

Homework Statement

Let ##G=G_{12}##, ##H_1=G_3##, ##H_2=G_2##. Decide if there are groups ##K_1##, ##K_2## such that ##G## can be expressed as the internal semidirect product of ##H_i## and ##K_i##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose I can express ##G_{12}## as an internal semidirect product between ##G_3## and ##K##, with ##K## subgroups. Then it must be ##G_3 \cap K={1}## and ##G_12=G_3.K##. I know that for ##n,m##, ##G_{n} \cap G_{m}={1}## if and only if ##(n:m)=1##. Taking this condition into account and the fact that ##K## has to be a subgroup of ##G_{12}##, the candidates for ##K## would be ##G_i## with ##i \in \{2,4\}##. I am not so sure how to realize if one of these subgroups could work. The case ##H_2=G_2## is analogous, I would appreciate suggestions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

To determine if ##G## can be expressed as an internal semidirect product of ##H_i## and ##K_i##, we need to check if the conditions for an internal semidirect product are satisfied. These conditions are:

1. ##H_i## and ##K_i## are subgroups of ##G##.
2. ##G=H_iK_i##.
3. ##H_i \cap K_i = \{1\}##.
4. ##H_i## and ##K_i## normalize each other, i.e. ##K_i## is a normal subgroup of ##H_iK_i##.

Based on the given information, we can see that ##H_i## and ##K_i## are indeed subgroups of ##G##, as ##G_{12}=G_3K_1=G_2K_2##. However, we cannot say for certain if ##G=H_iK_i##, as we do not have enough information about the structure of ##G##. Similarly, we cannot determine if ##H_i \cap K_i = \{1\}## without knowing more about the subgroups ##H_i## and ##K_i##.

In order to determine if ##G## can be expressed as an internal semidirect product of ##H_i## and ##K_i##, we need to investigate the structure of ##G## further. We can use the given information about the subgroups ##H_i## and ##K_i## to narrow down the possibilities for ##G##, and then check if the conditions for an internal semidirect product are satisfied for those possibilities.

Related to Internal semidirect product and roots of unity

1. What is an internal semidirect product?

An internal semidirect product is a mathematical concept used in group theory to describe the structure of a group that is the product of two subgroups. It is a generalization of the direct product of groups, where the two subgroups are not necessarily normal in the larger group.

2. How is an internal semidirect product different from a direct product?

In a direct product, the subgroups are required to be normal in the larger group, whereas in an internal semidirect product, this is not a requirement. Additionally, in an internal semidirect product, the two subgroups interact with each other through a homomorphism, whereas in a direct product they are completely independent.

3. What are roots of unity?

Roots of unity are complex numbers that, when raised to a certain power, equal 1. In other words, they are solutions to the equation x^n = 1, where n is a positive integer. The roots of unity are important in many areas of mathematics, including group theory, number theory, and algebraic geometry.

4. How are roots of unity related to internal semidirect products?

Roots of unity are often used to construct internal semidirect products. Specifically, if we have a group G and a subgroup H, and there exists a homomorphism from H to the group of roots of unity, then the internal semidirect product of G and H can be constructed using this homomorphism. This allows us to study the structure of G by considering its relationship with the group of roots of unity.

5. What are some real-world applications of internal semidirect products and roots of unity?

Internal semidirect products and roots of unity have many applications in mathematics and other fields. In physics, they are used in the study of crystallography, where the symmetries of crystals can be described by internal semidirect products. In coding theory, roots of unity are used to construct error-correcting codes. They are also used in signal processing, cryptography, and music theory.