International physics olympiad

In summary, the conversation suggests that in order to prepare for a physics competition, one should solve hard problems and study as much calculus based physics as possible. It is also recommended to use Irodov as a source of problems and to read Serway's textbook multiple times. Additionally, the speaker recommends checking out a blog with physics problems and solutions, as well as a download link for International Physics Olympiad (IPhO) problems.
abhikesbhat
i have heard of this contest. how can i prepare to go in? i am willing to work hard. i am going to be a freshman in high school next year.

Physics news on Phys.org
Prepare by solving lots of hard problems, that's all you can do, I hear that Irodov is an excellent source of problems. This assumes you've learned the material that is covered in the competition but If you haven't done that then that's the obvious first step.

Study as much calculus based physics as possible. I got into the semi-final round for the US Physics Team in 2000, but didn't get past the final round of selections. I think I read Serway's textbook about a dozen times.

I have a blog that contains some physics problems and solutions. I think its good to improve your physics skill. Also, I have a download link to some IPhO problems on the same blog.
Here is the link of my blog: http://collectionofphysicsproblems.blogspot.com"

I hope it would be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to International physics olympiad

1. What is the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO)?

The International Physics Olympiad is an annual competition for high school students from around the world. It tests their knowledge and problem-solving skills in various areas of physics.

2. How can I participate in the International Physics Olympiad?

To participate in the IPhO, you must first qualify through your national physics olympiad. Each participating country has its own selection process, so you should check with your national olympiad committee for more information.

3. What age range is eligible to compete in the International Physics Olympiad?

The IPhO is open to students who are under the age of 20 and have not yet enrolled in university or college. Most participants are high school students between the ages of 15 and 19.

4. What types of physics problems are included in the International Physics Olympiad?

The IPhO typically includes theoretical and experimental problems covering a wide range of concepts in physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics. The problems are designed to be challenging and require creative thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. How are winners determined in the International Physics Olympiad?

Winners of the IPhO are determined based on their individual scores in the theoretical and experimental exams. The top scoring students are awarded gold, silver, and bronze medals, and the countries with the highest total scores also receive team awards.