Interning at a national lab: good idea?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a first year PhD ME student applying for an internship at a national lab next summer. The student is looking for a meaningful research experience and has relevant laboratory experience and good academic standing. They are unsure about their chances of being selected for an internship at prestigious labs such as LANL, ANL, or ORNL, as they do not attend an ivy league university or have connections with a national lab. The speaker shares their positive experience as an undergraduate intern at NREL and mentions that the type of research projects assigned to interns may vary. They also mention the importance of having relevant skills, such as knowledge of LabVIEW. The speaker is not familiar with the experience of graduate student interns, but mentions
Topher925
I'm a first year PhD ME student and I'm thinking about applying for an internship at a national lab next summer. Are interns typically treated well at labs, as in they do somewhat meaningful work and research? I'm not looking for some kind of REU experience but something that would actually require me to think and do something worth my while.

What are the chances of me even getting an intern position at a national lab? I've got quite a bit of laboratory experience, especially for someone my age and background. I'm in pretty good academic standing as well, however I don't go to a ivy league university nor do I have any connections with a national lab. Do you need stellar academics to get an internship at a place like LANL, ANL, or ORNL?

Physics news on Phys.org
My experience has been good at NREL, as an undergraduate intern. Research experiences seem to vary, but in general I most interns seem to have decent projects.

Partly, it varies based on how much you know how to do. In my case, I had practically no background in PV and I'm working on a PV reasearch project, so I've spent a lot of time reading papers and a fair amount of time doing rote measurements having just learned to use the systems. Last summer I was here too, and I spent most of my time programming in LabVIEW or Igor (ugh) but I was able to work independently most of the time, and had a good introduction to PV so I could come back this summer with at least some background.

I should add that I don't know what the graduate student interns' experiences are like, since they are in a completely different program. SULI is more structured than other internship programs so it may help us avoid gruntwork (in fact, mentors are specifically instructed not to pass off menial tasks to their interns)

As for you chances of getting in, I can only say that I got in specifically because I knew LabVIEW and my mentor had a project he wanted someone to work on...

Related to Interning at a national lab: good idea?

1. Is interning at a national lab a good idea for my career?

Interning at a national lab can be a great opportunity for your career. It allows you to gain hands-on experience in a professional setting, work on cutting-edge research projects, and network with experts in your field.

2. What are the benefits of interning at a national lab?

Interning at a national lab can provide many benefits, such as gaining practical skills, enhancing your resume, and potentially leading to future job opportunities. You may also have access to advanced equipment and resources that are not available at other institutions.

3. How competitive is the application process for interning at a national lab?

The application process for interning at a national lab can be highly competitive, as these labs are typically highly regarded and receive a large number of applicants. It is important to have a strong academic background and relevant experience, as well as a compelling application and references.

4. Can I choose which national lab to intern at?

Yes, you can typically choose which national lab you would like to intern at. However, keep in mind that the selection process may be competitive and some labs may have specific requirements or project availability that may impact your decision.

5. Can I receive academic credit for interning at a national lab?

Many national labs offer internship programs that can count for academic credit. However, this may vary depending on your institution's policies and the specific requirements of the internship. It is important to discuss this with your academic advisor or the national lab before applying.