Internship Applications: What to Include & Tips

In summary, an internship application should consist of a cover letter that highlights your unique skills and sells yourself to the employer. It should also include a brief introduction and mention of long term goals, as well as a reference from a tutor or previous employer. It is important to specify why you are interested in the project and how you will benefit from the experience. The type of internship will determine the specific components of the application.
Vagrant
What should an internship application consist of? Should it contain a brief introduction even though the resume has been attached? Should the long term goals be mentioned at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean a cover letter? and no a cover letter should make you different than every other person who has the same skills as you. You sell yourself in the cover letter, you don't re-iterate what they can already read on your resume.

If possible, specify why you want to do the project. What interests/motivates you about the area as well as how you feel you will benefit from the experience. If the application is to someone you don't know, (another department/institution/fund etc) it's essential to get at least one reference (preferably starting with your tutor). These references normally cover areas like reliability, motivation, interest and if they think you have research potential.

That said, it totally depends on what kind of internship you're applying for...

:smile:

FAQ: Internship Applications: What to Include & Tips

1. What should I include in my internship application?

In your internship application, you should include your resume, cover letter, and any relevant academic transcripts or certifications. It is also important to include a brief summary of your skills, experience, and why you are interested in the internship.

2. How do I make my internship application stand out?

To make your internship application stand out, tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific internship and company you are applying to. Highlight relevant skills and experiences, and make sure to proofread for any errors. You can also include a link to your online portfolio or LinkedIn profile.

3. What are some tips for writing a cover letter for an internship application?

When writing a cover letter for an internship application, make sure to address it to the correct person and company. Use a professional tone and highlight your relevant skills and experiences. Mention why you are interested in the internship and how it aligns with your career goals.

4. Is it necessary to include references in my internship application?

It is not necessary to include references in your internship application unless specifically requested. However, you can include a line at the end of your cover letter stating that references are available upon request.

5. How far in advance should I submit my internship application?

It is recommended to submit your internship application at least 2-3 months before the start date of the internship. This will give you enough time to prepare and also allow the company to review your application before making a decision.