Interpretation of the maximum value of a CDF

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of probability and its relationship to a scenario where a bus is expected to arrive within a certain time interval. It is explained that while the probability of the bus arriving within the interval is 1, this does not necessarily mean it will arrive at a specific time within that interval. The conversation also touches on the difference between probability and certainty, and how assuming a probability of 1 for an event is not the same as saying it will definitely occur. The summary also includes a reminder that while some rules of probability can be easily understood by thinking of the probability density function, this may not always lead to accurate conclusions.
dranglerangus
I was watching a youtube video from MIT's open courseware series on probability. A scenario was proposed: Al is waiting for a bus. The probability that the bus arrives in x minutes is described by the random variable X, which is uniformly distributed on the interval [0,10] (in minutes).

I understand that the cdf of this function is F(x) = {0 for x<0}, {x for 0≤x≤10}, and {1 for x>10}.

This says that the probability is 1 that x≤10, or equivalently that x∈[0,10], right? So does this mean that the bus definitely arrived between 0 and 10 minutes? This seems counter-intuitive, since at any given moment Al was waiting, the probability that the bus would show up was 1/10. To me, this doesn't seem to guarantee that the bus would have to show up at some time in that interval.

The probability laws guarantee that the bus will come within 10 minutes, but it doesn't seem right to me. Am I understanding this incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
The assumption that the bus will definitely arrive in ten minutes is just that - an assumption. For the purpose of doing mathematics, one can assume anything consistent with the rules of probability. It does not have to be physically realistic.

Also you need to distinguish between probability at the start (1/10 for each minute) and conditional probability after he has been waiting a while (after waiting 6 minutes the probability for each of the remaining minutes is now 1/4).

mathman said:
The assumption that the bus will definitely arrive in ten minutes is just that - an assumption. For the purpose of doing mathematics, one can assume anything consistent with the rules of probability. It does not have to be physically realistic.

Also you need to distinguish between probability at the start (1/10 for each minute) and conditional probability after he has been waiting a while (after waiting 6 minutes the probability for each of the remaining minutes is now 1/4).

Hmm...weird. It doesn't seem like the probability should change just because he has been waiting a while. How would you formulate that conditional probability?

dranglerangus said:
{x for 0≤x≤10}

Should be "x/10"

This says that the probability is 1 that x≤10, or equivalently that x∈[0,10], right?

Yes.

So does this mean that the bus definitely arrived between 0 and 10 minutes?

From a practical point of view, yes.

However, in mathematics there is a technical difference between an event having probability 1 and an event being a definite fact. For example, in logic we have the rule modus ponens which says

If A ithen B
A
-----
Therefore B

where A and B are statements.

However there is no rule of loic that says

If A then B
A is true with probability 1
-----
Therefore B

This seems counter-intuitive, since at any given moment Al was waiting, the probability that the bus would show up was 1/10.

That is not a correct interpretation of the probability density function f(x) = 1/10. The value of a pdf at a particular x is not the probability that the value x will actually be realized.

By analogy, if the mass density of a 10 meter rod is 1/10 kg per meter, this does not mean that the weight of the rod "at" x = 3 meters is 1/10 kg.

Many rules of probability can be remembered by thinking of the pdf f(x) as giving "the probability of x", however this occasionally will lead to wrong conclusions. It's analogous to thinking of dy and dx in calculus as "infinitesimal numbers" That's useful, but it isn't an infallible way of reasoning.

Stephen Tashi said:
Should be "x/10"
Whoops!

However, in mathematics there is a technical difference between an event having probability 1 and an event being a definite fact. For example, in logic we have the rule modus ponens which says

If A ithen B
A
-----
Therefore B

where A and B are statements.

However there is no rule of loic that says

If A then B
A is true with probability 1
-----
Therefore B

This is really what I was asking, I guess. I didn't realize that saying "event A has probability 1" was not the same as saying "A will definitely occur."

That is not a correct interpretation of the probability density function f(x) = 1/10. The value of a pdf at a particular x is not the probability that the value x will actually be realized.

By analogy, if the mass density of a 10 meter rod is 1/10 kg per meter, this does not mean that the weight of the rod "at" x = 3 meters is 1/10 kg.

Many rules of probability can be remembered by thinking of the pdf f(x) as giving "the probability of x", however this occasionally will lead to wrong conclusions. It's analogous to thinking of dy and dx in calculus as "infinitesimal numbers" That's useful, but it isn't an infallible way of reasoning.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking that through very well when I posted it. I guess what I meant was that for any interval of time with length n (for example, any given period of 1 minute) the probability was n/10 that the bus would show. I was confused because this doesn't seem to suggest the bus has to come at all. But you answered my question with your statement above. Thanks!

Related to Interpretation of the maximum value of a CDF

1. What does the maximum value of a CDF represent?

The maximum value of a CDF (Cumulative Distribution Function) represents the probability that a random variable takes on a value equal to or less than the maximum value.

2. How is the maximum value of a CDF calculated?

The maximum value of a CDF is calculated by finding the area under the curve up to the maximum value on the x-axis.

3. How can the maximum value of a CDF be used in data analysis?

The maximum value of a CDF can be used to determine the likelihood of a random variable taking on a certain value or falling within a certain range. It can also be used to compare the distribution of different data sets.

4. Can the maximum value of a CDF be greater than 1?

No, the maximum value of a CDF cannot be greater than 1. This is because the CDF represents the cumulative probability, which cannot exceed 1.

5. How does the maximum value of a CDF relate to the mean and standard deviation of a data set?

The maximum value of a CDF is influenced by the mean and standard deviation of a data set. A higher mean or standard deviation will result in a higher maximum value of the CDF, indicating a wider range of values that the random variable can take on.