Interpreting the Problem Statement

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of interpreting the problem statement is to fully understand the problem and any potential challenges, in order to formulate an effective solution. To interpret a problem statement, one should carefully analyze the language, identify keywords and key elements, and consider the context and potential implications. Accurate interpretation is crucial as it forms the foundation for finding a solution. Some common mistakes when interpreting a problem statement include misinterpreting language or context, failing to identify key elements, and making assumptions without sufficient evidence. To ensure accuracy, one can ask clarifying questions, gather additional information, and continuously reflect on the problem statement throughout the problem-solving process.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Assume that ##H## is a normal subgroup of ##G##, ##\mathcal{K}## is a conjugacy class of ##G## contained in ##H##, and ##x \in \mathcal{K}##. Prove that ##\mathcal{K}## is a union of ##k## conjugacy classes of equal size in ##H##, where ##k = |G : HC_G(x)|##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay. I need a little help interpreting this problem. Is the problem asking me to show that ##\mathcal{K} = \bigcup_{i \in I } \mathcal{H}_i## with ##|I| = k##, where the ##\mathcal{H}_i## are the conjugacy classes formed by letting ##H## act on itself by conjugation, or are the ##\mathcal{H}_i## the conjugacy classes formed by letting ##G## act on itself by conjugation that are contained in ##H##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write this in the original language, which ever it is? Is ##\mathcal{K}## the set of all ##gHg^{-1}## or what is meant here, i.e. conjugates of what? And what is a class, i.e. if it is obviously different from a subset, how can it be included in ##H##? And last but not least, what is ##x##? And which kind of grammar is prove that is? No subject anywhere near.

Do they mean ##xHx^{-1} \subseteq H \,##?

fresh_42 said:
Can you write this in the original language, which ever it is? Is ##\mathcal{K}## the set of all ##gHg^{-1}## or what is meant here, i.e. conjugates of what? And what is a class, i.e. if it is obviously different from a subset, how can it be included in ##H##? And last but not least, what is ##x##? And which kind of grammar is prove that is? No subject anywhere near.

Do they mean ##xHx^{-1} \subseteq H \,##?

Sorry. It should read "Prove that ##\mathcal{K}##..." I just edited it. Besides that, I typed up the problem word for word.

This is strange, sorry.
Bashyboy said:
##\mathcal{K}## is a conjugacy class of ##G## ...
This lacks a specification. Conjugacy class of what? Of ##\{e\}##, of ##G##, or of ##H##, or of something else. Conjugacy class of ##G## would be ##gGg^{-1}=G## which makes no sense.
The guess would be ##H##, but this is not self-evident.
... contained in ##H##, and ##x \in \mathcal{K}##.
Then ##x## is a set of the form ##g_xHg_x^{-1}## and ##x=g_xHg_x^{-1} \subseteq H## which means ##g_x \in N_G(H)## the normalizer of ##H##. Is there a reason not to say this right away? So the claim is ##|N_G(H)| = |G : HC_G(g_x)|##, is that correct?

Edit: My bad, this doesn't make sense either as ##N_G(H)=G##. So sorry, I obviously don't understand the question.

Last edited:

FAQ: Interpreting the Problem Statement

What is the purpose of interpreting the problem statement?

The purpose of interpreting the problem statement is to fully understand the problem at hand and identify any potential challenges or limitations. This will help in formulating an effective and efficient solution.

How do you interpret a problem statement?

To interpret a problem statement, you should carefully read and analyze the language used, identify key elements and keywords, and determine the scope and constraints of the problem. It is also important to consider the context and any potential implications of the problem.

Why is it important to accurately interpret the problem statement?

Accurately interpreting the problem statement is crucial because it forms the foundation for finding a solution. If the problem is not fully understood, it can lead to incorrect assumptions and ineffective solutions.

What are some common mistakes made when interpreting a problem statement?

Some common mistakes when interpreting a problem statement include misinterpreting the language or context, failing to identify all key elements, and making assumptions without sufficient evidence. It is important to carefully review and analyze the problem statement to avoid these mistakes.

What steps can be taken to ensure an accurate interpretation of the problem statement?

To ensure an accurate interpretation of the problem statement, it is helpful to ask clarifying questions, gather additional information, and consult with others if necessary. It is also important to continuously reflect on and review the problem statement throughout the problem-solving process.