Intersection Form With Coeffs. in Z/2

In summary, the conversation discusses the intersection form with coefficients in Z/2 and its relation to Wu's vector. It is also mentioned that the intersection form in dimension 4n+2 is antisymmetric and can be seen as a Z-valued bilinear form on H_{n/2}(M). However, for unorientable manifolds, the intersection form only counts the parity of the number of intersection points.
Bacle
Hi, Everyone:

Just wondering if anyone knew about how to work with the intersection form with
coefficients in Z/2. I only know this is in relation to Wu's vector, tho I don't know
what Wu's vector is.

I was also hoping to know if the intersection form for (4n+2)-manifolds is also symmetric,
i.e., as in the case for 4n-manifolds; just wonder if there is a (-1)<sup>n+1</sup> or something
that may change signs.

Thanks for any Comments, Refs.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the intersection form in dimension 4n+2 is is antisymetric .

Because the intersection form is the bilinear form on H^{2n+1}(M) given by taking the cup product followed by evaluation on the fundamental class µ: (a,b) --> <a u b, µ>. And cup product is commutative in the graded sense: a u b = (-1)^|a||b| b u a = (-1)^(2n+1)² b u a = -b u a.

Also, from what I understand (may be wrong), by Poincaré duality, the intersection form of an compact n-manifold M can also be seen as a Z-valued bilinear form on H_{n/2}(M) (homology this time). Given two homology classes [L1], [L2], it is possible to find a representant L1, L2 of those classes such that L1 and L2 are dimension n/2 submanifolds of M which intersect transversally, and hence in finite number of points since M is compact. The intersection form then counts this number of intersection points. I'm guessing that working mod 2, the intersection only tells you about the parity of the number of intersection points.

Last edited:
quasar987 said:
I believe the intersection form in dimension 4n+2 is is antisymetric .

Because the intersection form is the bilinear form on H^{2n+1}(M) given by taking the cup product followed by evaluation on the fundamental class µ: (a,b) --> <a u b, µ>. And cup product is commutative in the graded sense: a u b = (-1)^|a||b| b u a = (-1)^(2n+1)² b u a = -b u a.

Also, from what I understand (may be wrong), by Poincaré duality, the intersection form of an compact n-manifold M can also be seen as a Z-valued bilinear form on H_{n/2}(M) (homology this time). Given two homology classes [L1], [L2], it is possible to find a representant L1, L2 of those classes such that L1 and L2 are dimension n/2 submanifolds of M which intersect transversally, and hence in finite number of points since M is compact. The intersection form then counts this number of intersection points. I'm guessing that working mod 2, the intersection only tells you about the parity of the number of intersection points.

This seems correct. I guess over Z/2 you can define the intersection form for unorientable manifolds.

But I have a question. If the manifold is orientable there still may be non-orientable half dimension manifolds. Over Z I guess these do not represent homology classes so they are not a problem?

I don't understand the nature of your question. What is the problem that you see regarding unorientable dimension n\2 submanifolds?

quasar987 said:
I don't understand the nature of your question. What is the problem that you see regarding unorientable dimension n\2 submanifolds?

well they have intersection just like anything else but they can only be counted mod2. So if they represented homology classes something would be wrong. Sorry I guess I answered my own question. they are not homology classes and do not enter into the intersection product.

Oh I see. So in post #2, I should have said

"Given two homology classes [L1], [L2], it is possible to find orientable representatives L1, L2 of those classes such that L1 and L2 are dimension n/2 submanifolds of M which intersect transversally, and hence in finite number of points since M is compact. The intersection form then counts this (signed) number of intersection points. I'm guessing that working mod 2, the intersection only tells you about the parity of the number of intersection points. "

Related to Intersection Form With Coeffs. in Z/2

1. What is the Intersection Form With Coeffs. in Z/2?

The Intersection Form With Coeffs. in Z/2 is a mathematical concept used in algebraic topology to study the intersections of submanifolds in a topological space. It is a bilinear form defined on a vector space over the field Z/2, which represents the number of intersections between the submanifolds.

2. How is the Intersection Form With Coeffs. in Z/2 calculated?

The Intersection Form With Coeffs. in Z/2 is calculated by choosing a basis for the vector space and representing the submanifolds as linear combinations of this basis. The entries of the bilinear form are then determined by counting the number of intersections between each pair of submanifolds.

3. What is the significance of the coefficients being in Z/2?

The coefficients being in Z/2 means that they can only take on the values of 0 or 1. This simplifies the calculations and allows for a clearer understanding of the intersections between submanifolds.

4. How is the Intersection Form With Coeffs. in Z/2 used in algebraic topology?

The Intersection Form With Coeffs. in Z/2 is used to study the topology of a space by providing information about the intersections of submanifolds. It can also be used to define invariants, such as the signature and the Euler characteristic, which are useful in distinguishing between different topological spaces.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Intersection Form With Coeffs. in Z/2?

While the Intersection Form With Coeffs. in Z/2 is primarily used in mathematics and topology, it has also found applications in fields such as physics and computer science. It has been used to study the topology of physical systems and to develop algorithms for solving problems in computer graphics and computer vision.