Intersection of A & B: Answer to Puzzling Question

In summary, the question asks for the intersection of two sets, A and B, with A having twice the number of elements as B and 1/3 of A's elements being the same as B's. The union of A and B is 42. By using the inclusion exclusion principle, the intersection can be found as (1/3) of the total number of elements in B, which is (7/3) of the total number of elements in A. After correcting some mistakes in the attempt at a solution, the answer can be easily obtained.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

Set A has twice the number of elements as Set B, 1/3 of the elements of Set A are the same as in Set B, the union of A and B is 42, what is the intersection?

The Attempt at a Solution

This was one of my exam questions, and I just want to see what the correct answer was. What I tried to do was
use the inclusion exclusion principle so

|AUB| = |A| + |B| - (1/3)*|A|
42 = |A| + 1/2|A| - (1/3)|A|
42 = (1/6)|A| + (3/6)*|A| - (2/6)*|A|
42 = (1/3)|A|

And 42 is the intersection, but that makes absolutely no sense, can anyone show me the correct way to get the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a Venn diagram using Kn in each section (K different for each section). Answer of 12 falls out trivially.

Panphobia said:

Homework Statement

Set A has twice the number of elements as Set B, 1/3 of the elements of Set A are the same as in Set B, the union of A and B is 42, what is the intersection?

This was one of my exam questions, and I just want to see what the correct answer was. What I tried to do was

42 = (1/3)|A|

And 42 is the intersection, but that makes absolutely no sense, can anyone show me the correct way to get the answer?
$$42 = |A \cup B| = |A| + |B| - |A \cap B| = 2|B| + |B| - (1/3)\underbrace{(2 |B|)}_{|A|} = (3 - 2/3) |B| = (7/3) |B|$$.

Panphobia said:

Homework Statement

42 = (1/3)|A|

I think if you had added 1+1/2-1/3 correctly you would have had it.

Wow elementary math mistakes everywhere haha, yea my mistake. I got it now.

Related to Intersection of A & B: Answer to Puzzling Question

1. What is the intersection of A and B?

The intersection of A and B refers to the common elements or values shared between two sets or groups. It is the overlap or point where the two sets meet.

2. How do you find the intersection of A and B?

To find the intersection of A and B, you can use a Venn diagram to visually represent the two sets and their overlapping area. You can also use mathematical operations such as set intersection or logical AND to determine the common elements.

3. Why is the intersection of A and B important?

The intersection of A and B is important because it helps us understand the relationship between two sets or groups. It can also help identify shared characteristics or values, which can be useful in various fields such as statistics, data analysis, and social sciences.

4. Can the intersection of A and B be empty?

Yes, the intersection of A and B can be empty if the two sets have no elements in common. This means that there is no overlap or shared values between the two sets.

5. How is the intersection of A and B different from the union of A and B?

The intersection of A and B represents the common elements between two sets, while the union of A and B represents all the elements from both sets without any duplication. In other words, the union includes all the elements from both sets, while the intersection only includes the shared elements.