Intersection of a Quadric Surface and a Plane in 3-D

In summary, the intersection of the quadric given by x^2 + y^2 = 4 with the plane x + y + z = 1 can be described by the parametric equations x = 2cos(t), y = 2sin(t), and z = 1- 2cos(t)- 2sin(t). The surface is an elliptic cylinder, and the resulting curve of intersection is an ellipse. The a and b coefficients do not need to be different since the curve is already tilted by the z component.
Onionknight
1. "Find the equation that describes the intersection of the quadric given by [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 4[/itex] with the plane [itex]x + y + z = 1[/itex]."

2. Parametric equations for elliptic curve: [itex]x = a cos(t)[/itex] , [itex]y = b sin(t)[/itex] , z = ?

3. Surface is an [EDIT: right circular] cylinder. Plane is not parallel to xy plane, has some increasing z and will not cut a circle in the cylinder. Curve of intersection of plane and elliptic cylinder will result in an elliptic curve.

3a. My first approach would be to plug in [itex]a cos(t)[/itex] and [itex]b sin(t)[/itex] for x and y respectively in the [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 4[/itex] equation.

[itex](a cos(t))^2 + (b sin(t))^2 = 4[/itex] ---> [itex]a^2(cost)^2 + b^2(sint)^2 = 4[/itex] ---> [itex]\frac{a^2(cost)^2}{4} + \frac{b^2(sint)^2}{4} = 1[/itex] ---> a = b = 2 --> [itex]x = 2cost[/itex] and [itex]y = sint[/itex]

This step confuses me since I would think that because the curve is elliptic, the a and b coefficients would differ.

3b. My second step would be to rearrange the equation of the plane to be some z = x + y + c to find the parametric equation for z.

[itex]x + y + z + (- x - y) = 1 + ( - x - y)[/itex] ---> [itex]z = - x - y + 1[/itex] ---> [itex]z = - (2cost) - (2sint) + 1[/itex]

3c. Last step would be to combine everything into parametric equations.

[itex]x = 2cos(t)[/itex] , [itex]y = 2sin(t)[/itex] , [itex]z = - 2sin(t) - 2cos(t) + 1[/itex].

I think I have the right idea, but any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Onionknight said:
1. "Find the equation that describes the intersection of the quadric given by [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 4[/itex] with the plane [itex]x + y + z = 1[/itex]."

2. Parametric equations for elliptic curve: [itex]x = a cos(t)[/itex] , [itex]y = b sin(t)[/itex] , z = ?

3. Surface is an elliptic cylinder. Plane is not parallel to xy plane, has some increasing z and will not cut a circle in the cylinder. Curve of intersection of plane and elliptic cylinder will result in an elliptic curve.

3a. My first approach would be to plug in [itex]a cos(t)[/itex] and [itex]b sin(t)[/itex] for x and y respectively in the [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 4[/itex] equation.

[itex](a cos(t))^2 + (b sin(t))^2 = 4[/itex] ---> [itex]a^2(cost)^2 + b^2(sint)^2 = 4[/itex] ---> [itex]\frac{a^2(cost)^2}{4} + \frac{b^2(sint)^2}{4} = 1[/itex] ---> a = b = 2 --> [itex]x = 2cost[/itex] and [itex]y = sint[/itex]

This step confuses me since I would think that because the curve is elliptic, the a and b coefficients would differ.
This is wrong. [tex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex] is the equation of a circular cylinder. It can be written as x= 2cos(t), y= 2 sin(t). Yes, its intersection with the tilted plane will be an ellipse but that is not relevant here.

3b. My second step would be to rearrange the equation of the plane to be some z = x + y + c to find the parametric equation for z.

[itex]x + y + z + (- x - y) = 1 + ( - x - y)[/itex] ---> [itex]z = - x - y + 1[/itex] ---> [itex]z = - (2cost) - (2sint) + 1[/itex]

3c. Last step would be to combine everything into parametric equations.

[itex]x = 2cos(t)[/itex] , [itex]y = 2sin(t)[/itex] , [itex]z = - 2sin(t) - 2cos(t) + 1[/itex].

I think I have the right idea, but any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.
The plane, x+ y+ z= 1 can be written 2cos(t)+ 2sin(t)+z= 1 so that z= 1- 2cos(t)- 2sin(t).
And that gives the parametric equations describing the intersection:
x= 2cos(t)
y= 2sin(t)
z= 1- 2cos(t)- 2sin(t).

Thank you. Don't know why I typed elliptic cylinder. I think I understand why it doesn't matter that a doesn't equal b. Since the curve of intersection is tilted by the z component anyways, it's going to be an ellipse. If the z parametric equation wasn't in effect, the curve would be a circle. I think this makes sense. Is my overall logic and procedure sound?

Related to Intersection of a Quadric Surface and a Plane in 3-D

1. What is the intersection of a quadric surface and a plane in 3-D?

The intersection of a quadric surface and a plane in 3-D is the set of points where the quadric surface and the plane intersect or touch each other.

2. How do you determine the intersection of a quadric surface and a plane in 3-D?

The intersection can be determined by solving the equations of the quadric surface and the plane simultaneously. This will give the coordinates of the points where they intersect.

3. Can the intersection of a quadric surface and a plane in 3-D be a point?

Yes, the intersection can be a point if the quadric surface and the plane intersect at a single point. This can occur for certain configurations of the quadric surface and the plane.

4. Can the intersection of a quadric surface and a plane in 3-D be a line?

Yes, the intersection can be a line if the quadric surface and the plane intersect along a line. This can occur for certain configurations of the quadric surface and the plane.

5. How many points can the intersection of a quadric surface and a plane in 3-D have?

The intersection can have 0, 1, 2, or infinite points. It can have 0 points if the quadric surface and the plane do not intersect. It can have 1 point if they intersect at a single point. It can have 2 points if they intersect at two distinct points. And it can have infinite points if they intersect along a line or if the quadric surface and the plane are the same shape.

Back